Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Technologist

creator pro 2016 help needed please

I recently purchased a FFCP and have been having issues with the extruders that stop extruding during printing. The printer continues going through the motions but no filament comes out. I then stop the print job and go through the filament loading process and the extruders extrude just fine. At first I though it was possibly a corrupt file but I have tried it with several models. Usually it happens with bigger models but extrusion works fine for about 5% to 10% into the print and then just stops extruding. I am wasting a lot of filament and this is becoming very frustrating.

I do not hear any "clicking".
    This can happen with either extruder.
    I am using the ABS filament that came with the printer.
    The extruder temp is set to 225 degrees.
    The speed is set to 40

Thank you in advance for your help
    Bill

Technologist
    Ummm...any one?

Super Moderator
    Other than loose wires or a faulty board some things are these.

Did you do a firmware update on the printer from the flashprint software? Mine told me to do that when installing.

Are you printing from USB? If so turn off power saving for the ports. Also if you are on a USB 3 port give a USB 2 a try.

Maybe up the extruder temp a bit to 230 and make sure there are no pinch spots in the travel path for the filament. Also make sure the filament hasn't gotten crossed on its self on the reel, like the end got under a few loops and is crossed over itself and starts to tighten as it feeds.
    What software are you using>

I had trouble with my printer feeding properly without the filament getting caught on the spool until I printed a filament guide like this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:409297. I am not sure if that is your issue but thought I would mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by wirlybird View Post
    Did you do a firmware update on the printer from the flashprint software? Mine told me to do that when installing.
    The FFCX does not use Flashprint.

Are you printing from USB? If so turn off power saving for the ports. Also if you are on a USB 3 port give a USB 2 a try.
    It is not a USB issue as the printer continues to 'go through the motions'. The USB problem is common to all FFC_ printers but will stop the printer completely.

Maybe up the extruder temp a bit to 230 and make sure there are no pinch spots in the travel path for the filament. Also make sure the filament hasn't gotten crossed on its self on the reel, like the end got under a few loops and is crossed over itself and starts to tighten as it feeds.
    What software are you using>
    If the filament got snagged there would definitely be a clicking noise so I would rule out that.

I had something like this once, way back with some bad PLA. It would break in the feeder tube (probably too dry/brittle). What little was still clamped by the extruder wheel would go through and then nothing else came out despite the printer still printing. Re-load filament and try again. So on and so on until I finally got it.

It could be a loose cable to the extruder. Check those too. And definitely run the print on the other extruder in the meantime.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    The FFCX does not use Flashprint.

It is not a USB issue as the printer continues to 'go through the motions'. The USB problem is common to all FFC_ printers but will stop the printer completely.

If the filament got snagged there would definitely be a clicking noise so I would rule out that.

I had something like this once, way back with some bad PLA. It would break in the feeder tube (probably too dry/brittle). What little was still clamped by the extruder wheel would go through and then nothing else came out despite the printer still printing. Re-load filament and try again. So on and so on until I finally got it.

It could be a loose cable to the extruder. Check those too. And definitely run the print on the other extruder in the meantime.
    WOW, full attack mode on my suggestions. That's what I get for trying to help?

He said it was a "FFCP" not a "FFCX" thus it came with Flashprint - at least mine did.

I asked about the USB since mine was problematic on a USB 3 port but fine on a USB 2 and if he is printing from a card then that is ruled out. When I turned off power management on all USB ports things improved and I am able to use the USB 3. The point is to rule out possible communication issues.

I have had filament "snag" or rather the spool was dragging after time due to the spool changing position and rubbing on the holder and it simply stripped out the filament and no "clicking".

And since you feel the need to pick my efforts to help apart, he already stated that it is having the issue on BOTH extruders so using the "other" one would seem pointless.

Sorry it came across like that. Not picking on you.

For the record The FFCP works best with either S3D or Makerware. Flashprint is not the preferred option. FP was initially brought out with the Dreamer as an attempt at a Stratasys/3D Systems-like setup. Not too popular if I recall.

The USB issue goes far deeper. In a nutshell using USB for printing is asking for trouble. Stick to memory card or wifi.

If you had no clicking then your filament idler wasn't exerting enough pressure the the extruder gear. Easily remedied. And may be the case here although its unlikely.

Missed that part about both extruders. Whatever the OP tries to fix the issue he should try on both extruder to make sure it replicates.

Super Moderator

For the record The FFCP works best with either S3D or Makerware. Flashprint is not the preferred option. FP was initially brought out with the Dreamer as an attempt at a Stratasys/3D Systems-like setup. Not too popular if I recall.

The USB issue goes far deeper. In a nutshell using USB for printing is asking for trouble. Stick to memory card or wifi.

If you had no clicking then your filament idler wasn't exerting enough pressure the the extruder gear. Easily remedied. And may be the case here although its unlikely.

Missed that part about both extruders. Whatever the OP tries to fix the issue he should try on both extruder to make sure it replicates.

No problem!!

I agree on the flashprint. The only reason I brought it up was that during my setup the instructions said to run it and do a firmware update. Don't know if it actually did anything but didn't seem to break it.

Yes, USB can be an issue and probably the most common thing aside from the ports powering down is people using cables that are to long or extension cables. USB 3 can also be problematic depending on the driver/printer combo. I have one printer that will not run off a USB 3 but works fine on USB 2 ports, two others work fine on the USB 3's. I do have a tested USB solution for those interested. I use a USB extender via network cable. I run 3 printers off 3 75 foot runs and have no issues. I just like to monitor on S3D!

Yes on the extruders or it was still moving just a slight bit of filament and spinning its wheels. Either way a definite possibility.

I was wondering if his issue could be heat related. It really sounds more electrical to me especially on a new machine.

Thanks for the commentary - I am always needing to learn more also and apologies for being a little over reactive!!

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    The newest version of Flashprint supports the Creator Pro and similar clones. You can even open a .x3g file in flash print to view and check out layers.

Older versions of Makerware are OK with FFCP, but newer desktop versions are buggy. I've read that it has trouble with heating the the correct extruder.

S3D is the way to go though. IMO, everything else is a waste of time to spend time to learn.

Engineer-in-Training
    My guess would be that the filament isn't freely coming of the spool.

But your temperature is also low for ABS. I'd suggest printing at 240.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast