Close

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Oh wow that was some fast shipping. Things get to the good old USA from Sweden a lot faster than things from China. Well I am still waiting on the geeetech 3 in 1 mixing hotend before we can get started but check out these extruders..

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Well the BondTech dual drive extruders are great. absolutely everything I expected them to be. But they did not solve the problem. And honestly I didn't think they would. While they do allow for applying a lot more driving force to the filament the diamond hotend still has a problem with whichever filament doesnt get used for a while binds when it starts getting used. I think the problem lies in the sheer amount of exposed surface area of the hotend vs. the size and location of the heater and the thermistor. I could be wrong, but that is what is driving me away from the Diamond hotend. I am all set to start getting this Geeetech 3-in-1 mixing extruder up and going with the bond tech and the blue ptfe tubes and just have a really awesome machine but don't you know that hotend is taking it's sweet time getting here. So I went and checked on the status of my order and I just wish I could have ordered this too from them Sweden. 2 month shipping time..

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Well it has been a while and I never got the Geeetech 3 in 1 mixing hotend from Banggood or bangood or w/e. It got lost in the mail. Tracking showed it moving to about half way across my state and it just stopped. I am less than happy with the whole thing but I was trying to flesh out a good multi material printer and so I have ordered this part again. This time from a different source. Also I kidnapped one of the genuine Bondtech BMG extruders for my coreXY build and have replaced it with a $20 knockoff. So I will be able to have a real world side by side comparison of the genuine and knockoff BMG extruders. I already have the extruder and should get the hotend in the next day or two.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Oh ya. So the Geeetech built 3-in-1 hotend finally arrived. I am so excited for a newly designed 3 in 1 mixing hotend. The diamond hotend is such a frustration but I am thinking I will have a better go of this guy. And look at the size comparison..

The Diamond hotend is a big huge chunk of upside down triangle with the nozzle being at the very bottom and a whole lot of surface area exposed and just one little 6x15mm heater cartridge at the top. The new Geeetech hotend has a more traditional nozzle and the heater block has 3 of these 20 watt 6x15mm heater cartridges so I know the temps will be more stable and accurate..

I have found no mounts or anything for this hotend at all really on thingiverse. And so I will draw up my own mount and I guess it is better that way anyways. It will be a lot more specific to what I am doing. The cool thing is all the drilled and tapped holes on the top of the hotend for mounting..

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    I tried to reach out to Geeetech on Facebook to inquire about purchasing the parts that secure the 3 in 1 mixing hotend to the carriage and not only did they not respond but they also deleted my post. Whatever their reason or position I spent over $40 on their product and was prepared to spend more. I was a customer and this was a bad experience for me in the name of customer service. Bad form Geeetech. And so I drew up my own mount for the mixing hotend trying to keep everything as compact as possible..

My design puts a 40mm fan on either side of the heatsink in a push pull configuration..

They will be wired together in parallel and set to come on only when the nozzle temp is above 50c..

On the front face of my mount I have 4 holes and a big flat surface to mount a layer fan, ...when I design that. I like this hotend so much better than the diamond hotend. The nozzle size is 0.4mm and unfortunately that is the only size I have been able to find for it. One of the great downfalls to the diamond hotend is the fixed nozzle that can not be removed or changed. The nozzle on this can come out but 0.4mm is the only size I have been able to find so far. But there is at least hope with this one..

I just have some light wiring to do and then some calibration stuff and I can get back to trying my hand at multi colored prints..

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    So I have collected the 3 files that I have made to get the Geeetech 3 in 1 mixing hotend up and working in an i3 style printer. the i3 style home built printer i made these parts for uses Geeetech i3 pro B printed parts for the X and Z and so this carriage will fit any i3 style printer with the same spacing between the 2 smooth rods as what is in the Geeetech i3 printers. I still have to design a layer fan but i did leave a place and 4 holes to attach said layer fan when I get it drawn up. And I will add it to this: Geeetech 3 in 1 Mixing Hotend Universal i3 Mount by AutoWiz - Thingiverse

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Well I am very happy with this new hotend. Not a single filament jam yet!!! I am having other temp related issues. I think we will print with lower than desired commanded printed temps. I just think that is the result of 3 heaters so close to the filament. I am also not happy with the current way I have the 3 heater cartridges wired. I am using an external MOSFET for the extruder heater but I fear the wires running to the 3 heaters are insufficient. Or maybe the large connections I have are sinking a bunch of the heat real close to the heaters. IDK. I just don't feel good about the way I have it wired. So I drew up a 2d block diagram to explain what I am doing. Here is the way it is currently wired. The mainboard is just sending a signal to the external MOSFET which sends power down 1 pair of wires and gets split 2-3" from the heater cartridges and wired parallel..

This way might look good on paper but it is reliant on the feed wires from the MOSFET to the splice being able to carry the load of 3 heater cartridges and still be thermally protected and very flexible. I also want to do away with the splice altogether. I do not want a big knot close to the heater cartridge that can play heatsink on it's own. This can only play hell with the heater's efficiency and accuracy. And so I have planned a rewire to more evenly distribute the electrical load across both MOSFETs and wire all 3 heaters back to the FETs. I know this will mean 6 thermal wires instead of 2 in my cable running to the extruder but I believe it will be better this way. So here how I mean to rewire..

To make all this happen in the best way possible I have ordered a new Geeetech 3 in 1 mixing hotend and some new 6x15mm heater cartridges with long wires so I do not have to make any splices near the heater cartridges. I will set these new heaters in with thermal paste and PID autotune the snot out of it when done.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    This printer is now 5 years old. But,....

That's right the latest version of Marlin driving an SKR Pro and a Geeetech 3 in 1 mixing hotend with 3 extruders. As I am wrapping up the last wave of building and modding I am working to put back together and restore the Creation Station. All of my printers in a row on a bench. Up and ready to print. I still have to wire up the TronXY but that wont fit on this bench anyways..

As I dig through the calibrations and fine tuning I aim to start a thread where we can debate print quality / time / and slicers between my printers and anybody else that will join in. Still trying to think of a good name for such a thread. But I have a little bit of time. I have some PLA+ coming and I do need to do some fine tuning on slicer and firmware settings to get the best possible print quality.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    How about the 'Reality Thread - What printers can Actually do, away from manufacturers claims and the youtube fantasists'

Good diea, to my knowlege you have never actually done any speed tests on your machines.

What I was going to ask was: can you take a picture of the inside of your bondtech extruders ?
    Including the drop down gear lever.

I want to see if they're the same as mine and if not - have they done anything to help with flexible filament.
    Mine's a bondtech dual ripoff. So curious to see if bondtech have done anything to stop flexible filament escaping and getting bundled up inside the extruder housing - as happened with mine till i took the epoxy putty to it.

Damn shame we're in different countries.
    We could have a business where you built machines and I actually put them to maximum capability use :-)

So with a 3 nozzle mixer, are you still using stls and three different files - or have you found a way to use just one amf file ?
    I know amf files carry a lot more information and should be able to have all the info for the three different extruders in a single file.
    But no clue how that works and which slicers can handle it properly.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    your workbench is way way too tidy !
    This is what a real world 'workstation' looks like ;-)

And if you're wondering where the computer is, it's hiding behind the monitor:

It really needs a lid as rain occasionally comes through the windows.
    I could put it in a 'proper' case, I could make aproper case, But this works - so why change it lol

The three centre machines are currently 100% fit and running.

I'd show you the other half of the workshop - but I suspect you're already hyperventilating, so I'll spare you the possibility of a heart attack.
    Suffice to say, you've seen the tidy half :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 09-20-2021 at 10:08 AM.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast