Close

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    My mate lost interest in the printer and the idea of learning 3d design software and slicing software. And just before completion with only the belts left to setup I posted it up on offer up and let go for $100. I sold it for $80. It will be a good machine, but it should not be made to print fast.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    This home made printer has seen so many different configurations and extruders. I have been happy with the titan extruder I have but the hotend isn't even a v6. It is a v5 and the fan failed and I replaced it and ever since I have struggled with a heat creep issue causing filament clogs. I finally resolved this issue in a splendid if not ugly way..This is now probably the coolest running heatsink in town. But it is also too tall with the heatsink mounted in between the extruder and the hotend. It sticks down a little ways below the gantry and I know this is causing me to loose potential build height. So I need to switch the extruder one more time. I have struck out finding a mount for a titan aero and a prusa i3 that I like or feel is going to work appropriately for me so I ordered this off of ebay..And I can setup the Titan Aero with the same layer fan that I applied to my Black Widow..

This conversion is pricey because I had to buy the whole assembly to get the all metal gantry / titan aero mount, but then discard the garbage knockoff titan aero extruder and swap in all genuine e3d parts. Also I am running an e3d high precision ceramic heater cartridge just for best results. None of these upgrades are motivated one way or the other by money and all are in an effort for the best end result.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    that's a serious chunk of extruder !
    what's it weigh ?

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    A metric ton. I should have caught on when I had to take out a loan to cover shipping costs. lol. But it is ok. This printer's frame is very sturdy. And it is going in with fiberglass reinforced gt2 belts. What is important here is that the nozzle is on plane with the bottom of the gantry And I can almost set that directly on the bed as my home. Then I can raise it to the top of the frame and enjoy the largest possible build volume.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    To make things match I re printed the layer fan in silver. Also the flag and proximity sensor mount I designed I printed in silver to match the extruder. I am happy with my results. Here is my new extruder setup..

I mounted the Z sensor on the backside of the extruder. There is great intelligence in this choice as I have observed circumstances where the extruder is mounted in between the rails that hold it and the Z sensor. When homed with a cold hotend and a piece of filament hanging off, the extruder becomes a see saw that rocks the sensor up and away from the bed even as the extruder crashes into the build plate. With this new configuration if anything hanging off of or even if the nozzle itself touches the bed, it will force the z sensor down and towards the bed..

Here is the flag I had to make for the optical end stop on X..

To make everything match I tossed the green layer fan and reprinted it in silver..

And here is the money shot. This right here is why this is the extruder setup I am going with on all my printers..

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Today I have all of my machines back together and have got the printers calibrated enough to start with the test prints. I never wanted a 3d printer to print out busts or trinkets or figurines or stuff, For me it was always just another way to make a part. So I am not going to demonstrate what my printers can do with a test print from maker's muse or anything like that. For me the test print is going to be this airframe that comes with incredibly detailed build instructions: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1831295 To make things interesting for me I am running this test side by side with my other 2 printers. So I will have 3 different color airframes when I am done. Here ismy workbench with all 3 machines working on their own airframes..

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    I am very pleased with how well these machines are printing now..There is a salmon skin thing I will try to address and I also want to learn more about calibrations such as linear advance and I am sure my prints will get even better as time goes on..

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Ok so the first piece has finished printing on this machine. I just wanted to show as best I can how these machines are printing. The salmon skin / visible artifacts on the surface of the print does not appear to affect the structural integrity or accuracy of the print, so it is a back burner issue to me for the moment as I just try to check the reliability of my machines. Here are a few pictures of the EDF housing..

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    My home made printer, Printalicious, is elbow deep in printing the cover for the EDF motor. It is a quick print if not just because everything is just one layer thick..

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    So as my Air Force takes shape i just want to point out that these 3 planes were built by radically different machines, technically speaking. One was an expensive printer(Tevo Black Widow W/BLtouch), One was a cheap ebay printer(GEEETech i3 pro B), and one was built from scratch home made(Printalicious). As we all marvel at how such different machines can print the exact same, I just want to say that what we all should care about are the parts used, not a brand name..

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast