Close

using arduino to control the mirror - idea

http://www.instructables.com/id/Ardu...ll-XY-Control/ come across this using arduino may be spring point for out of the box solution

Peachy Printer Software Guru
    This is very much like how the Peachy already works. The major differences are that we are using the computer sound card instead of the Arduino's DAC, and we don't need current amplifying transistors since the sound card already has a strong enough amplifier. We also aren't strapping mirrors on to speakers (though that's kind of how we started out) but are instead building our own galvanometers that work on the same principles as a meter movement in an analog meter.

phonx, the Peachy Pro will already have a Microcontroler (I dont know what kind). You'll be able to buy one, download the software and install it to your Peachy (remember, it's open software, open hardware!).

How much is a production ready galvanometers like use in Form1 cost?

here the tear of FORM1

http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=3110
    Last edited by phonx; 10-20-2013 at 12:26 PM. Reason: addon

Peachy Printer Software Guru
    A quick survey shows it's about $150 USD in bulk for basic galvanometers like those used in laser light shows. Now you can see why we aren't using them in the Peachy Printer. It still might be something to consider for the Pro model or that you could use to upgrade your Peachy.

I know I had read that post on Bunnie's blog before, and now I don't feel nearly as cleaver. Because when I first learned about this project one of the first things that came to mind was to do something like this galvo from one of his "name that ware" posts linked to in that teardown of the Form1 as a cheap and "easy" way to add feedback to the galvo mechanism Rylan has designed.

Still think it would be neat to develop as an add-on DIY improvement designed to be done by printing the required parts with a stock peachy. Then adding an LED and two photosensors along with a microcontroller which I pretty much assume most hacks to the peachy will end up incorporating.

Funny thing is I passed the idea up almost immediately as probably not precise enough. Guess my gut feeling on that was wrong if it's actually a method currently in use commercially. But now I'm wondering if the idea really came to me or I just subconsciously remembered that NTW post.

You'd think after this long I'd have learned to believe in my teachers constant admonishments to trust my first guess
    Last edited by jhitesma; 10-26-2013 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Forgot to include a link

Looking at those photos and descriptions of commercial galvos again really has me thinking now.

Basically they look like a small brushless motor with a mirror on one end of the shaft and a vane on the other. Now I'm wondering how hard it would be to take a small brushless hobby motor (maybe rewind it like they do for use in brushless gimble camera mounts) modify the shaft to hold a mirror on one end and vane on the other. 3D print a housing for two sensors and an LED...and hook it to a uC.

I may have to start playing with some ideas while I wait for my Peachy....Don't have a way to 3D print the housing for such a sensor setup...but I could probably improvise something.

I'm pretty sure we will see many hack once the peachy is relased!