Close

Tiles: Build Your Dreams on Kickstarter

Has anyone seen this latest Kickstarter project? It is a software built to allow people not familiar with 3D design to easily create items that can be 3D printing. The software uses blocks/pixels to construct models. I'm not sure if this is really needed. I guess it does give ordinary Joes a way to develop things for their 3D printers, but my thinking is that in the current landscape, most people that own 3D Printers have used some sort of design software already.

This reminds me a lot of the Blockify app. It does the same thing, but I think this allows you to shrink the blocks down a lot further. I think it's a brilliant idea actually. Sure most people with 3D printers know how to use design software, but the majority of them are crappy at designing. This definitely will simplify the process. I hope they get funded.

This does have some potential, but unfortunately I don't see them reaching their Kickstarter goal

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    I think they are onto something. If they had a split cube that gave you a 15, 30 and 45-degree blocks you could do better angles without throwing too much more complexity at the user. Most people understand angles too. I like the concept and hope they make it. I like to see success stories come out of fun ideas.

I still think the SketchUp method of additive building is one of the simplest and that's free for the simple version. I think what curses most general consumers is that when they open a program that has a lot of features, they somehow never see the simple ones first. They get overwhelmed very quickly by all of the options that are available. Developers could do a better job by having switchable workspaces named: Basic, Advanced and Expert. The first time you opened the software the screen would be in Basic mode and only a very few necessary items are visible and available. You'd learn to create there. Then, once you had that figured out, you could turn Advanced on. That would add more tools and not be too overwhelming as you'd already have your foot in the door.

Good luck "cube" guys...
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com

It's ashame that this never got funded. I would have loved to give it a try. Does anyone know what this company's plans are? Do they still intend on going forward with this without the funding from kickstarter?

I too hope that they seek other avenues of funding. I really liked their idea, and thought it would be funded on KS.