Close

Minecraft VR is Available for Oculus Rift

Over the past year, Minecraft's developers have been working on bringing fans directly into the game through virtual reality. In April, a VR version of the game was released for Samsung Gear VR, and now, after months of hard work, Minecraft VR is available for Oculus Rift. Better yet, it's being released as a free update to Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta. Read more at 3DPrint.com: https://3dprint.com/146697/minecraft-oculus-rift-vr/

Engineer-in-Training
    Turns out it's terrible in VR. Motion sickness for everyone.

I've been suggesting that they switch to a 3rd person trailing camera like Luckey's Tale for months. Either I am not contacting the right people, or they don't care, but the proof that it will work already exists.

There's an existing 3rd person camera mod that works perfectly or selecting tiles to interact with, the only thing that needs to change is the camera distance and acceleration and decouple the camera from the joystick and presto. Done.

Luckey's Tale is the premier example of this camera style. It works great. It's a shame that people have it stuck in their heads that 3rd person VR is somehow terrible. It's actually the opposite. The user and their entire body becomes the camera. The bound space follows the character and you are free to move around that character in 3d space, sort of a god's eye perspective.

I could and would play minecraft for hours like that. As it is now, it's just unplayable in VR. And they know this, so they give you a "virtual living room" where you can sit on a couch and play on a virtual screen in order to, and I quote "take a break from full immersion"... I already have that in reality, so, that's pretty stupid.