Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Student
    well. I have no problems with ABS. But I have used many figurations until I did this one:
    Hotend 270 degree C
    Bed 115 C
    Filament speed 292
    Infill 0.15 - 0.3
    Everything works like a charme. My 3D printer is a RepRapPro Mono Mendel. with Melzi board.

Regards
    Torben

Student
    Keith-

The Elmer's glue solution I am aware of is using an Elmer's glue STICK. This is not quite the same as liquid glue as it is paste-like substance. It comes in tubes like lipstick and is used in a similar way on your build plate. You 'write' it on the build plate. I think the European equivalents may be Pritt or UHU that make glue sticks. These are available at office supply stores.

Good luck and cheers!

Follow RP Iron Man On Twitter Add RP Iron Man on Facebook Add RP Iron Man on Google+ Add RP Iron Man on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by ldabkey View Post
    Keith-

The Elmer's glue solution I am aware of is using an Elmer's glue STICK. This is not quite the same as liquid glue as it is paste-like substance. It comes in tubes like lipstick and is used in a similar way on your build plate. You 'write' it on the build plate. I think the European equivalents may be Pritt or UHU that make glue sticks. These are available at office supply stores.

Good luck and cheers!
    Yeah, using Elmer's Glue Stick is much easier than applying liquid glue. I also find that Elmer's is much more consistent and smoothly applied than the UHU brand. I haven't tried Pritt though...

Eric

Technician
    Yeah, using Elmer's Glue Stick is much easier than applying liquid glue. I also find that Elmer's is much more consistent and smoothly applied than the UHU brand. I haven't tried Pritt though...
    I hadn't even thought about the Elmer's Glue trick. I'm going to have to give this a try.

Well i find hairspray good enough on most prints these days,

On sharp corners i normaly use a Brim feature, Almost never failed on me, The only thing that does happen is that the layers split, but thats all realy.

I don't believe we have Elmer's glue in Europe.

Technologist
    I use aquanet on kapton and a heated bed at 85C. Works most of the time. When I do get warping it seems to be related to bed leveling more than the surface.

Follow RP Iron Man On Twitter Add RP Iron Man on Facebook Add RP Iron Man on Google+ Add RP Iron Man on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by DrLuigi View Post
    Well i find hairspray good enough on most prints these days,

On sharp corners i normaly use a Brim feature, Almost never failed on me, The only thing that does happen is that the layers split, but thats all realy.

I don't believe we have Elmer's glue in Europe.
    Any type of glue stick should work. Elmer's is nice because it can be applied in a very smooth layer whereas UHU is a little messy.

Eric

i3 here with a J-Head Mk v. Lots of warping of larger parts (Wades extruder, or the X-carriage) until:

Kapton, 105 degrees. Make sure the whole bed has heated evenly so leave for 15 mins after it has reached temp.
    ABS at 235 degrees
    No fans, draughts, door closed!
    ABS paste on the kapton. Until I applied the paste I failed.

Now it's all working!

I still get minor layers peeling from each other occasionally.

Student
    Over a couple of weeks I found out that prtinting in ABS is quite tricky for me and I never had perfect results so far. Happy to hear about all your experiences here, but I´m asking myself what would be a real guideline of dos and don´ts? for instance in terms of bed temperature we have quite different results here...

Let´s try to summerize this thread:

- heat bed temperture between 105 - 120 degrees, after first layer reduced to 80 - 100 degrees
    - print on Kapton, PET tape, aluminium, glass or mirror - so it don`t matter?
    - prepare the bed with glue, ABS paste, glue stick
    - use more infill
    - constant high ambient temperature or better: heated chamber
    - no fan´s at all, problematic if your hotend needs one

Did I missed anything?
    Last edited by ciutateivissa; 04-12-2014 at 06:03 AM.

Thanks to all of you for these contributions., just a few questions.

@RP Iron Man : nice trick with the garbage bag, how hot does it reach inside ? Don't you fear to overheat some components ? Or do you make holes to keep warm but not too hot ?

I was looking at the Printrbot Go v2 and they wrote on their twitter page they wound't do a heated bed due to warping. So I guess from what you all put this is mainly due to the very "open architecture" and could be solved with closing it a bit, that so ?

Anyone using a Creatr Xl or such big volume machine ? Do they have the same issue ?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345