Close

Engineer

Make walls thinner on object?

I have this plant pot that I've been trying to find a way to fix this issue. When it prints, it prints as 2 walls going up. I'm trying to get the model to print with 1 wall going up, like a vase mode. Even with vase mode enabled in S3D it still prints 2 walls. If you run the file through you will see what I mean. Basically trying to make it print 1 wall the entire way up to save time and materials. You can get the planter here..

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:698864

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well before geoff jumps in - try makerware :-)
    s3d just won't print single walls.

makerware will.

Technician
    Add Wes@MachWax on Facebook
    I have printed many single walled items using S3D. You simply change the outer perimeter shell to 1.

I think the issue is more the model and hardware combination than the slicer. The model was created with a thicker wall than your nozzle so the slicer is just filling in what it thinks is the total model. If I slice the model linked in S3D with a .4, it wants to do two shells. If I punch in a .8mm nozzle, it does just one shell.

I have printed many single walled items using S3D. You simply change the outer perimeter shell to 1.
    lol - never thought of that - thanks :-)

Engineer
    Yeah, I figure the problem is the walls on the model are too thick. If I change it to 1 outer perimeter shell, it's still doing 2 walls with a single shell. I want to get it down to a single wall, I'd prefer to do with 2 shells, but doing with 2 shells is currently doing 2 walls, and 2 shells, which takes a substantial amount of time more. I believe the problem is the model being too thick, that's why I want to thin it out. Other than trying Makerware I still haven't figured it out :P But using Makerware just is going to create more problems because I have a lot of customization in my prints.

https://i.gyazo.com/c73e98d453baa1f8...ea46986d97.png

For some reason my picture isn't showing up on here.
    Last edited by Bassna; 08-20-2016 at 11:42 AM.

lol you were away when someone decided to remove all forum attachments and not allow any more.
    Nobody has ever said why.

That's one complicated vase - looks like a strawberry planter.

Technician
    Add Wes@MachWax on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassna View Post
    Yeah, I figure the problem is the walls on the model are too thick. If I change it to 1 outer perimeter shell, it's still doing 2 walls with a single shell. I want to get it down to a single wall, I'd prefer to do with 2 shells, but doing with 2 shells is currently doing 2 walls, and 2 shells, which takes a substantial amount of time more. I believe the problem is the model being too thick, that's why I want to thin it out. Other than trying Makerware I still haven't figured it out :P But using Makerware just is going to create more problems because I have a lot of customization in my prints.

https://i.gyazo.com/c73e98d453baa1f8...ea46986d97.png

For some reason my picture isn't showing up on here.
    With a .8mm nozzle, .6mm layer height, 60mm/s print speed, and just 1 outer shell, the print time is an estimated 1 hour 45 minutes. This was also using S3D to slice.