Close

Upgrading Stepper motors, Marlin firmware ?

Hello,

A few weeks ago I upgraded my 8" I3V to a 10" Pegasus, and so far it's been going fairly ok(with the exception of a stepper and a lcd going bad). I have the older stepper motors from when the I3V's (you know the one's you can cook eggs on) first came out, and the other day one of them died on me(extruder Stepper). I have had good luck with the Kysan 1124050 steppers on other 3d printer builds in the past and was thinking about changing the rest of the steppers over to them. I figured might as well upgrade the firmware while i'm at it. I know at one point it was a pain to upgrade firmware because of a different pins.h or something like that, but also looking at configuration.h I see :
    #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80.19,80.19,800,102.3}

I have the acme lead screw upgrade for the z axis as well as using Colin's Pegasus extruder. I thought that setting for x and y steppers would be 80 and not 80.19, or is that specific to the stepper motor that's being used?

Also has anyone else been successful in upgrading their firmware to the most recent one? I am wondering what other changes I would need to do or maybe there's isn't a way atm?

Thanks

If I didn't have the specifications for the motor I was going to use, I would just put it in place and print a calibration cube. If the measurements are correct, I would leave everything alone. (And it is very possible that is what happens. Most NEMA-17 stepper motors have the same number of steps per revolution). If the axis where I put the motor is too big or small, I would scale the number in that line down or up (respectively) to compensate and print another calibration cube.

Also has anyone else been successful in upgrading their firmware to the most recent one? I am wondering what other changes I would need to do or maybe there's isn't a way atm?
    The only thing you might want to do is use a visual diff program to compare your old configuration.h file against the new one. (and for that matter, configuration_adv.h also!)

Some of the names have changed. You won't have a hard time crossing your settings over. But you really should use a visual diff program to make sure you see the changes. Something like Notepad++ is good. Or ExamDiff Pro is really nice!

Thank You, I actually use Notepad++ for exactly that reason , I;m going to give it a shot and see how it goes...