Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    that is a seriously good bit of kit !

How much of the hollow of the trainer did the scanner pick up ?

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    that is a seriously good bit of kit !
    The scanner or the shoe ?
    It's not completely hollow but enough to make it look hollow at first glance.

the scanner :-)
    I bought a ciclop - 'cause it was stupidly cheap.
    It needs tweaking but at best I doubt I'll ever get better than an amorphous blob.
    Certainly no way it'll ever 'see' a void. Or - at the moment - any kind of shape, at all.

Guess i'd have been better off putting that money towards an einscan - we live and learn :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 08-30-2016 at 11:44 AM.

Technologist
    I had a Cyclop ..... for all of a couple of weeks.
    I just couldn't get a single decent mesh from it, no matter what I tried.
    I think the weak link with it is the software.
    The same hardware used with the David laser scanner software produces much better results.
    Last edited by scobo; 08-30-2016 at 12:10 PM.

I also have an Atlas 3D scanner. This a DIY Laser scanner that I bought and used with pretty decent results. It's not in the same class as the Einscan-S, and it does require some post scan work to get a good model, but for the price it's a good introduction to 3D scanning, and I think it produces better results than the higher priced Matter & form and the Makerbot scanner.

You can see some of my scan results here, and throughout the Atlas 3D forum:
    http://www.soliforum.com/topic/14434/my-atlas-scans/

Quote Originally Posted by scobo View Post
    The same hardware used with the David laser scanner software produces much better results.
    thanks, I'll see if I can find the david software.

Quote Originally Posted by scobo View Post
    The Cyclop scanner is closer in functionality to the Atlas 3D, than the David Laser scanner (aka Starter Kit). That uses a calibration panel with point references behind the model during the scan. A handheld line scanner oriented horizontally is used to brush" the model up & down to obtain a point cloud (the more passes you do, the denser the cloud), then you manually rotate the model 45°, and do it again.

After you capture the model from all sides (8+ positions), you can have the software align the captured point clouds and you end up with a mesh.

The Atlas and the Cyclop use a turntable to automatically turn the model in small increments (at least 800 steps per full revolution), while the camera reads the warped vertical lines the scanners shine on the model/object.

I don't think you can use the David software with the Cyclop or the Atlas, other than removing the laser and camera to use them manually. Which pretty much makes buying those scanners a waste of money, since you can get a decent webcam and a line laser for under $50.

BTW, unlike the Cyclop 3D, the Atlas 3D scanner is a self contained system that doesn't require a PC to function. It uses a Raspberry Pi as the controller, and a the end user controls it from a Web Interface via WiFi or Ethernet. Some people have actually connected a small touch screen to the unit to make it completely independent.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    thanks, I'll see if I can find the david software.
    There is a trial version however the full version is pretty expensive.
    And I believe they've dropped support for laser scanning in the latest version in favour of structured light scanning (strange, considering the name).

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudemeister View Post
    I don't think you can use the David software with the Cyclop or the Atlas, other than removing the laser and camera to use them manually. Which pretty much makes buying those scanners a waste of money, since you can get a decent webcam and a line laser for under $50.
    That's how I used it with the trial version just to prove that it's the software that lets the Cyclops down. Better software would make it far more useable.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudemeister View Post
    I also have an Atlas 3D scanner. This a DIY Laser scanner that I bought and used with pretty decent results. It's not in the same class as the Einscan-S, and it does require some post scan work to get a good model, but for the price it's a good introduction to 3D scanning, and I think it produces better results than the higher priced Matter & form and the Makerbot scanner.

You can see some of my scan results here, and throughout the Atlas 3D forum:
    http://www.soliforum.com/topic/14434/my-atlas-scans/
    Yeah, I've seen some of your results over there, way better than anything the Cyclops can produce.
    Which again points to the software as the hardware is much the same.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast