Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by RP Iron Man View Post
    Hey Geoff,

By "no leaks" I meant that the plastic cannot leak from internal junctions because it is a 1-piece nozzle. As for the dribble ("ooze"), there are ways to significantly lessen this. I haven't tested with dual extruder, but it you are using 1.75mm filament and you customize Prometheus to have a short "melt-zone" the dribble (or "ooze") will be almost entirely eliminated. So that could work...

Eric
    Sorry to be a party pooper, but I have never had my $12 nozzles leak from internal junctions - ever. There is a brass nozzle attached to what appears to be a steel cylinder which heats up and pre-melts the filament before it's pushed into the hot end - there is nowhere for it to leak. I've been through close to 50kg of filament.

I am still having trouble understanding the short 'melt-zone'

can you explain that in a bit more detail please?

Follow RP Iron Man On Twitter Add RP Iron Man on Facebook Add RP Iron Man on Google+ Add RP Iron Man on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Sorry to be a party pooper, but I have never had my $12 nozzles leak from internal junctions - ever. There is a brass nozzle attached to what appears to be a steel cylinder which heats up and pre-melts the filament before it's pushed into the hot end - there is nowhere for it to leak. I've been through close to 50kg of filament.

I am still having trouble understanding the short 'melt-zone'

can you explain that in a bit more detail please?
    Yeah, some people experience leaks, some people don't. It really depends on the hot end and the assembly.

As for the short "melt-zone", basically I am referring to the length of the heated portion of the hot end. A short "melt-zone" means a short heated portion, which translates to a smaller volume of molten filament in the hot end, which in turn results in less "ooze" from the nozzle. 'Ooze' is caused by gravity acting on the liquid molten filament pulling it down through the nozzle (you can test this by turning your printer upside down! No more ooze... but it is awkward having your printer upside down). By decreasing the volume of molten filament in the hot end, you are decreasing the pressure that gravity is exerting on the molten filament and therefore less plastic oozes out of the nozzle tip.

Hence, shorter "melt-zone" = less "ooze" ---------- longer "melt-zone" = more "ooze"

Eric

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Yeah, some people experience leaks, some people don't. It really depends on the hot end and the assembly.

As for the short "melt-zone", basically I am referring to the length of the heated portion of the hot end. A short "melt-zone" means a short heated portion, which translates to a smaller volume of molten filament in the hot end, which in turn results in less "ooze" from the nozzle. 'Ooze' is caused by gravity acting on the liquid molten filament pulling it down through the nozzle (you can test this by turning your printer upside down! No more ooze... but it is awkward having your printer upside down). By decreasing the volume of molten filament in the hot end, you are decreasing the pressure that gravity is exerting on the molten filament and therefore less plastic oozes out of the nozzle tip.

Hence, shorter "melt-zone" = less "ooze" ---------- longer "melt-zone" = more "ooze"

Eric
    Yeah I get what you are saying, thanks clearing that up.

Follow RP Iron Man On Twitter Add RP Iron Man on Facebook Add RP Iron Man on Google+ Add RP Iron Man on Thingiverse
    Hello Everyone,

The campaign is almost fully funded with over $2500 in contributions! Thanks to the latest contributors.

A few updates for you all. RepRap Core Developer Brad aka "Sublime" is working on a review and Michael "ZennmasterM" Zenner will receive his prototype for testing in the next few days! We will likely be seeing the reviews in the next week. I also managed to get in contact with Richard Horne. He is currently tied up with work but he happily agreed to do a review sometime in the next few weeks!

Recently I have been working on getting my website up and running. It should be up in the next few days so I will keep you guys informed when it goes up.

The components are starting to arrive! Earlier today I received the bulk order for the thermistors and resistor heaters for Prometheus. Most of the components are already on order so I am just waiting for them to arrive. The production run for the machined parts is well under way and going smoothly as planned.

Let's keep this campaign going!

Happy printing :-)

Eric

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    How does it differ to this one ? and does yours come assembled?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ap-3d-printers

They are also doing a 500c model..

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...s/posts/695645
    Last edited by Geoff; 04-15-2014 at 07:06 PM.

I notice the fan and the heater are 12v, have you got an option to substitute these for 24v. The MendelMax are all 24v system.

Engineer
    Geoff i have been watching that pico for a while. It really looks like a beautiful hot end. The only thing thats holding me back is the fact they have the heater and block mounted vertical. This is going to make a large melt zone which will make drooling more of an issue and filament less precise to control.

Prometheus comes as a kit so you would have to assemble it yourself.

Prometheus is VERY different from the Pico because we chose very different design decisions. The Pico has an uncontrolled "transition-zone" which leads to poor PLA printing. It also has a ridiculously long "melt-zone" which results in excess amounts of "ooze", as jimc stated. If you are curious about the Pico real-world performance, look at the review done by Richard Horne (well respected RepRap Core Developer) in his write up for the RepRap Magazine here: http://issuu.com/garyhodgson/docs/re...800691/7156572

Look at his hot end review starting on Page 43. The Pico looks great, but it does have a bunch of significant design flaws that offset the aesthetic beauty...

My hot end is designed to solve all of these problems. Just read through the the Prometheus campaign page and you will have all of the answers. Hot end design is engineering, not sorcery, and every aspect of Prometheus is fully engineered.

--------------

@mttr

As for the 24V compatibility, unfortunately I can only offer 12V systems at this point. If you are keen on supporting this project, I can get some 24V fans but you would need to supply the heater... Sorry about that, but that is the best I can do. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks,
    Eric

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Prometheus comes as a kit so you would have to assemble it yourself.

Prometheus is VERY different from the Pico because we chose very different design decisions. The Pico has an uncontrolled "transition-zone" which leads to poor PLA printing. It also has a ridiculously long "melt-zone" which results in excess amounts of "ooze", as jimc stated. If you are curious about the Pico real-world performance, look at the review done by Richard Horne (well respected RepRap Core Developer) in his write up for the RepRap Magazine here: http://issuu.com/garyhodgson/docs/re...800691/7156572

Look at his hot end review starting on Page 43. The Pico looks great, but it does have a bunch of significant design flaws that offset the aesthetic beauty...

My hot end is designed to solve all of these problems. Just read through the the Prometheus campaign page and you will have all of the answers. Hot end design is engineering, not sorcery, and every aspect of Prometheus is fully engineered.

--------------

@mttr

As for the 24V compatibility, unfortunately I can only offer 12V systems at this point. If you are keen on supporting this project, I can get some 24V fans but you would need to supply the heater... Sorry about that, but that is the best I can do. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks,
    Eric
    Good stuff! I am watching and waiting for some reviews, personally I can't see how it would fit into my flashforge so I might have to bow out purely on physical constraints.

Great News!

Thanks to all of the supporters! Prometheus is now fully funded!

I really appreciate all of the support from everyone in the 3D printing community. This hot end has great potential and thanks to you guys it will soon become a reality!

Now that the funding goal is behind us I am thinking about possible stretch goals to keep things rolling. Many people were asking about different nozzle sizes so I think that would make an appropriate stretch goal. I will need more funds to do a production run of a different nozzle size, so having more funds available would allow me to get started on this sooner.

I was debating between a smaller 0.25mm nozzle or a larger 0.6mm nozzle. A 0.25mm nozzle would be ideal for very detailed printing, while a 0.6mm nozzle would be great for faster printing and would also allow Prometheus to print Taulman T-Glase.

Let me know which optional nozzle size you guys would prefer in the comments!

Thanks again for all of the support!

Happy Printing

Eric

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast