Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Follow RP Iron Man On Twitter Add RP Iron Man on Facebook Add RP Iron Man on Google+ Add RP Iron Man on Thingiverse

Prometheus Hot End

Hey guys,

Check out the Prometheus Hot End, my new customizable all metal hot end is now on Indiegogo!

http://igg.me/at/Prometheus-Hot-End/x/6004956

I have been involved in development work within the RepRap community for quite some time and this hot end is my way of contributing to the community I am only active over on the RepRap forums but I thought I should post here in case any of you guys are interested in my new hot end. The Indiegogo campaign just went up so if you are quick you can grab one of the Early Bird perks!

Let me know what you guys think and just ask if you have any questions.

I would really appreciate your support!

Even if you can't directly support his project, it would be really helpful if you could tell all of your 3D printing buddies about my campaign and spread the word

Happy printing!

Eric
    Last edited by RP Iron Man; 04-01-2014 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Fixed the post, everything is ok now!

Follow RP Iron Man On Twitter Add RP Iron Man on Facebook Add RP Iron Man on Google+ Add RP Iron Man on Thingiverse
    Hey guys,

First of all, thank you to those who have contributed! Your support is very much appreciated.

While this has definitely been a slow start I am now working on several things to increase exposure. Admittedly, the marketing of this project has been a bit of a stumbling block for me. However, I have received lots of great advice from people on the forums and I am now working to get this campaign noticed!

I have contacted publications including 3ders, 3D Printer World, and Hack-A-Day so they should be able to bring some press exposure to this campaign. I have also contacted RichRap (Richard Horne) about doing an objective review of the Prometheus Hot End. RichRap is a RepRap core developer and is well respected throughout the 3D printer community. A RichRap review of the Prometheus Hot End will show everyone how well this hot end performs and also help people understand why it performs so well and what sets it apart from other hot ends.

Within the next two weeks I am going to go ahead and order the Early Bird production batch of parts from my suppliers using a combination of private funds and Indiegogo contributions. I have realized that the key here is just getting my hot end out there ASAP so that people can see how well it performs. At this point the campaign will be carried out to completion regardless of the funding success so don't be afraid to contribute!

Once I make the Early Bird production order and receive all of the components, I will start shipping the kits out to people who have backed this project. I expect to begin shipping Early Bird perks before the projected June shipping date This project is going to happen no matter what, so there is nothing stopping you from grabbing your Prometheus Hot End Early Bird perk right now!

Also, remember to spread the word to everyone you know so that we can put this funding goal behind us!

Thanks so much to everyone for all of the support and advice.

Happy printing!

Eric

Hey guys,

We're almost half way there! Thanks to all of the contributors.

I just sent out a prototype to RepRap Core Developer "Sublime" (Brad M, Designer of Tantillus 3D printer) so he is going to do a review in the next few days. I am working on getting a prototype out to Richard Horne as well so stay tuned!
    I am also getting together the prepayment to begin production for the Early Bird Prometheus Kits. The production should begin on Monday next week so I can realistically expect to start shipping out kits by mid May.

So what are you waiting for! Jump on board and contribute to this campaign and you will receive your hot end before June. A new Prometheus Hot End will make your printer very happy.

Keep on sharing this campaign so we can get this project fully funded!

Keep on printing :-)

Eric

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Finally, a photo!

Ok, ok.. Now that things are explained a little more on your page you have my attention. I don't know alot about printing with filaments that need that sort of heat, so I probably would be researching that before I backed you to see if it's a road I want to go down, but the actual machined prototype does look nice, better than the 3d renders.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Finally, a photo!

Ok, ok.. Now that things are explained a little more on your page you have my attention. I don't know alot about printing with filaments that need that sort of heat, so I probably would be researching that before I backed you to see if it's a road I want to go down, but the actual machined prototype does look nice, better than the 3d renders.
    Hey Geoff,

Thanks for the reply. This hot end is VERY well thought out and is basically an all-in-one hot end solution that will serve all of your printing needs You will find that there are many interesting Nylons and Polycarbonate filaments being developed so it is really useful to have that compatibility with your hot end. If you want a future-proof hot end, here it is! Prometheus does it all: compact, customizable, reliable (no leaks!), etc..

I hope you will support my project!

Thanks,
    Eric

Hey guys,

The campaign is now 60% funded! Thanks to the latest contributors.

I have a few updates for everyone. I recently sent out a prototype to RepRap Core Developer "Sublime" (Brad M, Designer of Tantillus 3D printer) and yesterday I sent out another prototype to Michael Zenner (aka "ZennmasterM") from 3D Hacker for a review. Michael Zenner has done many reviews on hot ends so stay tuned for his review of the Prometheus Hot End prototype!

These reviews should be up in the next week. I am also still trying to get in contact with Richard Horne "RichRap" about doing a review of Prometheus.

In other news, Prometheus Early Bird production has commenced! I sent the prepayment for production to my manufacturer and they are preparing to start machining the parts. I expect to be shipping by mid May so grab your Early Bird kit today!

There is a lot going on so I am going to try to keep everyone informed. Spread the word so we can put this funding goal behind us!

Happy printing!

Eric

Hey,

Wanted to ask what the length of this hotend is?
    If its shorter/aprox the same as a Jhead Mk IV

Also this is being send from the US right?
    Just so i know a estimate shipping costs to Belgium.
    I order sometimes from the USA, but shipping costs and custom fees are sometimes quiet ridicolous.. (Example my makerfarm custom fees were aprox 150-200 dollars if i remember correctly, shipping was 150, so that was already the same or more than the halve of my printer :P)

Ye Zennmaster is a pretty nice guy, Also did quiet a few movies with the Makerfarm, Prusa nozzle, E3D, Magma, Jhead, Aluhotend.

Hey,

The length depends on on how you customize the hot end (ie. what "melt-zone" length you use). The approximate length is from about 52mm to 62mm.

I am in Toronto, so this hot end will ship from Canada. International shipping is included in the price of each perk so don't worry about that I use economical shipping. Also, I don't think you will have to pay any customs fees since it is not an item with high declared value.

Yeah, Zennmaster is a cool guy. I talked to him about my design and he is really happy to do a review.

Thanks,
    Eric

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by RP Iron Man View Post
    Hey Geoff,

Thanks for the reply. This hot end is VERY well thought out and is basically an all-in-one hot end solution that will serve all of your printing needs You will find that there are many interesting Nylons and Polycarbonate filaments being developed so it is really useful to have that compatibility with your hot end. If you want a future-proof hot end, here it is! Prometheus does it all: compact, customizable, reliable (no leaks!), etc..

Thanks,
    Eric
    Am I right in reading that you have solved the nozzle dribble issue? have you tested 2 of these on a dual extruder?

Hey Geoff,

By "no leaks" I meant that the plastic cannot leak from internal junctions because it is a 1-piece nozzle. As for the dribble ("ooze"), there are ways to significantly lessen this. I haven't tested with dual extruder, but it you are using 1.75mm filament and you customize Prometheus to have a short "melt-zone" the dribble (or "ooze") will be almost entirely eliminated. So that could work...

Eric

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast