Close

UK Modifies Copyright Right Law to Include Furniture

What a stand the UK is taking in following a law put into motion by the EU. Modifying a copyright-and-patent monopoly law, the UK will now include furniture in the realm of copyrights rather than design patents. Under European law this is quite a drastic measure, meaning that you can’t go home and re-create something that would have previously just been under patent, allowing for a replica to be made with your own resources. This puts the 3D printing community directly under fire as the government moves to squash their freedom in making or enhancing copies with the transformative technology. Not only that, each copyright is capable of lasting a century. Read more at 3DPrint.com: https://3dprint.com/145379/uk-eu-copyright-laws/

Senior Engineer
    It will make no difference at all, the big boys will do just as they do now and completely ignore any patent inventors may own while defending their patents and copyright to the bitter end.

None of which matters anyway as no one can afford to go against them and as long as you have nothing (relatively speaking) they will leave you alone anyway.

The whole area of patent / copyright / registered design needs binning and new methods putting in place.

Engineer-in-Training iDig3Dprinting's Avatar
    Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    But there is nothing wrong or evil about copyright or patents. If I had invested time and money in designing a chair that was going to be my source of income I would not be happy if somebody came along and just started building replicas, cutting me out of the market and gaining from my hard work.

Well the change in law will protect big business as well as the person at home, as they do now. The problem with these things is it is the group with the deepest pockets that usually wins in a legal battle. But in the end it may be to the benefit of 3D printerers. After all 3D printing is empowering a new wave of independent designers.

It can be so difficult to draw distinctions between designs and ideas, it is almost impossible to quantify in many respects. Are there problems with the current governance of the system, yes, is there a better alternative?

Senior Engineer
    Well speaking from experience there is no protection at all offered to the small guy. People like Son'y, Siemens and loads of others just ignore the patent because they know that you cannot go after them and even if you do they can delay any action until way past your demise for very little money and from the other side they patent everything even things that have prior art like the Stratasys offerings and again the burden of proof is not on them but on whoever wishes to challenge it.

The whole system is wrong and the only way to invent and profit is to be first to product.

Defending a patent is tedious and the outcome is down to individual people who know naff all about the subject in question, the only people that profit are lawyers. I have done this against Siemens and won but it made no difference, they carried on anyway.

Engineer-in-Training iDig3Dprinting's Avatar
    Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    It all just boils down to money.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    surely from the makers point of view all it does is encourage you to make your own designs, rather than directly rip off someone else ?

And, yes, unfortunately we are still under the aegis of europaen regulations.

Once that's gone - no reason it can't be repealed if necessary.

But given how few 3d printers are actually capable of making full sized furniture - it's not really an issue.

Far more likely it's aimed at cheap foreign imports - I could say china, but these days: india & vietnam are just as likely to be the culprits as well.

Quote Originally Posted by iDig3Dprinting View Post
    It all just boils down to money.
    Freedom versus money.

Frankly, I find the idea of "owning" an idea, technique or design somewhat obscene. Eventually big corporations will own everything and lease it to us. Governments will pass laws to enable because they are in the pocket of big business. It will become illegal to repair your own toaster. It's already happening.

I think that this law helped to protect businesses. A useful one.

The issue with these things is it is the gathering with the most profound pockets that typically wins in a fight in court. However, in the end it could be to the advantage of 3D printerers. After all 3D printing is engaging another rush of autonomous architects.