Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How durable are 3d printed objects?

Hello everybody, this is Reacher from Italy.
    I'm thinking about buying my first 3d printer. It would be something like a Prusa I3.
    I've seen a lot of things on thingiverse that I would like to print. I mean things like small plastic tools, smartphone covers, rc cars parts, spares and upgrades for the 3d printer etc...
    Would it be possible to print everyday objects durable enough to withstand actual use? With a printer this cheap? (obviously after a correct set up and learning...)
    Thanks in advance for any answer

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Yes.

It can depend of what material you use, but even cheap abs and pla is extremely durable. For seriously strong stuff you can use petg, polyflex polymax and flexible materials.

But yes - parts are as good as commercially produced parts, in many cases stronger and lighter.

To a large extent for fdm machines it depends on the orientation you print them in.
    So the same part can be printed in different orientations and one will be weak and break easily and the other will be strong, flexible and hard to break.

Getting really good 3d printed parts is as much an art as a science.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 08-03-2016 at 11:34 AM.

Yes i agree with curious abs and pla can be quite durable. If you want to use other materials check that the printer you are buying can actually take the material you want to print but a lot of cheaper 3d printers recommend either pla or abs or both.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    It absolutely depends on the material AND the design.

And there are even more durable materials - it depends on the environment (temperature, humidity, pressure forces, acidity, rapid temperature changes) in which they need to perform.

Thanks for the answers. I wanted to know if these printers were suitable to produce usable parts. Now I think I'm gonna buy one soon.

Engineer-in-Training
    On the subject, you guys think a PETG subframe could be designed to support 300+ lbs from 4 attachment points?

My original intent was to use internal aluminum tubing, but if I can make something that's totally printed, that would be great.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    stick with the aluminium. cheaper and stronger.

You probably could make it from pet. But pretty sure aluminium would be cheaper and easier to use.

petg while stiff, is Nowhere near as stiff as aluminium. You would get way too much flex.

300lbs ?
    what the hell are you making

Engineer-in-Training
    A subframe for a motorcycle. I only weigh about 220, add another 10-15 lbs with gear, and then assume there will be bumps in the road.

I still intend to print the bulk of it, just reinforce it with aluminum. It will all be visible, and custom is cool. Plus I need to do up all sorts of brackets and stuff for wires, tail light, various electrical control bits, battery, and all that.

I see no problem just designing it with a channel all the way around to just drop in square aluminum tube from the bottom, then have the printed part just "sit" on top of it.

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    Reacher, yes, 3D printing has its strengths to create unique parts for end-use.
    Mechanically it's about half as good in performance an injection molded part.
    Even a cheap Wanhao printer can get you started to develop functional parts, with the right settings parts will come out great.

Engineer
    Avoid making 3D printed objects that will hold effort. 3D print parts seriously have creep issue, they will creep much faster than conventional injected mold.

Further, you can buy the best filament and still have shitty bonding issue. It's easy to screw around with ABS/PLA, if your controller board fail and print at low temperature, you are pretty sure parts will delaminate eventually.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast