Close

LAYWOO-D3 Wood filament - Is it safe to eat off of?

I know that they say it is "NOT Safe to Eat", but does that mean that it's not safe to eat off of or out of object made out of the LAYWOO-D3 Wood filament? I mean, isn't it quite obvious that you can't eat a wood filament? Do you think they mean you can't use it to make things such as eating utensils or bowls/cups/mugs? I'd love to know the answer.

Here is a link to the filament sales page http://www.makergeeks.com/wo3dprfild3.html

I would think it would be safe to eat off of, since it hardens, but don't quote me on that. Try emailing the company. They would have a better answer.

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse
    I asked about this via their customer service. Here is the response.

Hey Ed, thank you for you email - yeah I wouldn't think that eating off this would be good at all; while it's not toxic it's also not tested for this use so it would be a gamble for sure. Hope that helps your clients; thank you again!!!

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    Yea, you have to be careful of something just because "it hardens." There are a lot of hard things that still are able to leach out dangerous chemicals or molecules even when hardened. The problem is made worse in that food is often moist or wet. Think about a bunch of beautiful tomato slices on a plate. There is water everywhere that is going into your mouth having touched and potentially dissolved or absorbed some harmful molecules from the plastic.

Just do what Eddie did, always ask the manufacturer if in doubt.
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com

I wouldnt use anything thats printed to actualy eat with personaly,
    Even if the filament would be food safe.

Except cookie cutters if i ever would get a request from someone that i know who wants one, But i would get it very clean when its printed tho.
    So there wouldnt be any chemicals obviously, like hairspray or any lose parts/strings and a very bright color so you would see it when something fell in it..