Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Camera and projector fine adjustments

Hi, I'm new here on the forum, and the to the Einscan-S. I've used a laser scanner in the past, but the Einscan is my latest purchase.

I have no problems scanning with it, however, I'm trying to see if there are some fine adjustments that can be done, to increase the apparent resolution of the scans. Currently most of my scans are of relatively small action figures, statuettes and so on. The problem I'm having is that the resulting scans have "soft" edges. Surface features with sharp edges end up with soft rounded edges and corners, and fine features such as grooves (such as gaps between panels) are almost invisible or are very undefined.

I wanted to see if this is an issue with the cameras and the projector, so I did the standard setup as defined by the place mat that came with the scanner, or about 17" from the face of the camera to the center of the turntable. I then placed a vertical piece of white cardboard, and projected an image with some text. I found that the image was not in perfect focus at the center of the table, but it was actually in focus at about 16.25". I then placed a paper with fine writing at that distance, and enabled free scanning so I can see the camera outputs. The writing was blurry, and I had to move everything to nearly 15" away from the right camera to be in focus. The left camera is in focus at about 14.5".

So now to the burning questions:
    Shouldn't the cameras be focused on the same plane as the projector?
    Shouldn't both cameras be focused equally (goes hand in hand with the question above)
    Can they be refocused along with the projector.
    Is the distance originally imposed by the place mat (17") "fixed"? By this I mean, does the distance from the camera to the subject figure into the calculations that define the size of the object?

Thanks for your help

Nobody?

Doesn't anyone else have similar issues ?

Student
    Dudemeister,

I am fairly new to this myself. I would say that in turn table mode the cameras have been set to an optimum distance for the stated envelope of the scanner so unless the cameras use autofocus in this mode then some part of you object will be out of focus when scanning. In free scan mode you are free to use the cross hairs to judge the focus of the object (or the feature that I posted about recently) to scan.

Have you compared quality of scans from both modes?

I would fire this question to shining3d support directly.

Here is a comparison photo: From left to right, the original model, the turntable mode, and the free scan mode. As you can see, the model has very sharply defined edges, which get a lot softer on the scan. some of the fine detail like thing grooves are almost gone in the turntable auto-scan mode. The free scan is only slightly sharper, but not what it could be.

I think one of the reasons for the lack of sharpness is the fact that the 2 cameras are not focused the same. compounded with the fact that the projector is not focused on the same plane as the cameras, you end up with a "soft" edge, and "blurred" detail.

Student
    Do a search in this forum for "focus" I seem to remember a couple of other members with the same issue. Perhaps they can respond.

Technologist
    I'm not seeing too much wrong with those scans, to be honest.
    Maybe you're just expecting a bit too much from the Eiscan-s ??
    What size is the original model ? That might help us judge you results better.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by pma View Post
    Do a search in this forum for "focus" I seem to remember a couple of other members with the same issue. Perhaps they can respond.
    This one .... http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...ighlight=Focus

I did that but unfortunately, there was no real answer. In fact someone else had a very similar issue as mine (the 2 cameras are not focusing on the same plane), was told that this is common and that free scan would take care of it, but it doesn't really help a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by scobo View Post
    Seen that one, and it looks like he adjusted the projector a bit, which is what I might try this weekend.

BTW, are you the same scobo that is active on Soliforum? I'm on that forum under my last proper name, pirvan.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudemeister View Post
    Seen that one, and it looks like he adjusted the projector a bit, which is what I might try this weekend.

BTW, are you the same scobo that is active on Soliforum? I'm on that forum under my last proper name, pirvan.
    Yeah, that's me. Same usename on the Voltivo forum too.
    Small world, eh ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast