Hi, I'm new here on the forum, and the to the Einscan-S. I've used a laser scanner in the past, but the Einscan is my latest purchase.

I have no problems scanning with it, however, I'm trying to see if there are some fine adjustments that can be done, to increase the apparent resolution of the scans. Currently most of my scans are of relatively small action figures, statuettes and so on. The problem I'm having is that the resulting scans have "soft" edges. Surface features with sharp edges end up with soft rounded edges and corners, and fine features such as grooves (such as gaps between panels) are almost invisible or are very undefined.

I wanted to see if this is an issue with the cameras and the projector, so I did the standard setup as defined by the place mat that came with the scanner, or about 17" from the face of the camera to the center of the turntable. I then placed a vertical piece of white cardboard, and projected an image with some text. I found that the image was not in perfect focus at the center of the table, but it was actually in focus at about 16.25". I then placed a paper with fine writing at that distance, and enabled free scanning so I can see the camera outputs. The writing was blurry, and I had to move everything to nearly 15" away from the right camera to be in focus. The left camera is in focus at about 14.5".

So now to the burning questions:
Shouldn't the cameras be focused on the same plane as the projector?
Shouldn't both cameras be focused equally (goes hand in hand with the question above)
Can they be refocused along with the projector.
Is the distance originally imposed by the place mat (17") "fixed"? By this I mean, does the distance from the camera to the subject figure into the calculations that define the size of the object?

Thanks for your help