Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by djprinter View Post
    Actual background checks are done by computer and fact checked. You'd need a false ID to get past one.

Private sellers don't have to do any background check at all--which is referred to as the "gun show loophole" since gunshows are full of private sellers.
    Well, the person doing it uses a computer, but they can and often are called in. Not every shop does it over the internet.

And yes, we are aware of that. But "full" of private sellers isn't exactly accurate. A great deal of them are dealers.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    The situation was just ludicrous.
    What is the point of criminal/terrorist profiling if the information recieved from the profiling is just going to be totally ignored in the face of bureacratic and officious political correctness.

It's the same nonsense that means everyone boarding a plane has to be checked down to the composition of their fillings, instead of just the ones more likely to cause problems.

The annoying thing (what just the one ?) is that the millions of pounds has been spent on profiling and intelligence on who is likely to do what - is just ignored in the desire to show the world we're not racists, religionists and biased.
    When By rights using the available profiles and intelligence does not mean you're being racist, just sensible.

And that's thursday's rant :-)
    Well said... and the USA is at least as ridiculous, if not more so.

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    In the end people are most important but the objects we create and use are a big part of our culture, and help to give rise to our behavior and actions.
    They invite certain actions and inhibit others, like a speed bump invites slower driving inherently because that's more enjoyable.
    I find life much more enjoyable when I can trust that weapons are used only by trained professionals in extreme cases. In the same way that I only want a certified doctor doing the stitches when I have hurt myself. So I am all for reducing the chance that weapons fall in the hands of just anyone. I see positive discrimination as a normal and healthy way of social control. Of course you could always buy a 3D printer and find 3D models to print weapons, though if the most trusted brands include chips that prevent printing of certain models, or can recognize what type of part you are printing, we are creating a healthy and sane environment..

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Ama-fessional Molder View Post
    Well, the person doing it uses a computer, but they can and often are called in. Not every shop does it over the internet.

And yes, we are aware of that. But "full" of private sellers isn't exactly accurate. A great deal of them are dealers.
    I would say that there are 10 times more private sellers than dealers. At a gun show there are hundreds of people walking around with guns they mean to sell or trade--usually to a dealer, but you can just walk up to one of them and offer them a good price and the gun is yours.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123