Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Student

Is these "laws" something we should worry about?

I just read Stans latest blog and if you follow stan 3dprinterchat.com you would see his other copyright and gun posts. Anyways should we worry about law enforced firmware control systems in our 3d printers?

https://3dprinterchat.com/2016/07/3d...or-gun-makers/

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well it's a long running thing.

all iin one printers have had software on them for years that stops you photocopying money.

I know this because my test for a newly instelled printer at a clients used to be copying a £20 note.

Then one day a few years back It wouldn't do it. You just get crap come out. Everything else works fine, but on modern printers you just can't photocopy money anymore.

Plus with plastic printers you can always change the firmware to an older one.

Basically it's the same argument - nobody in the uk can print firearms without incurring the wrath of the men in black anyway.

And in the us you get real guns free i crackerjack boxes. So why worry :-)
    Plus anything built into firmware can only be a database of parts they know about. design your own and it won't be in the database - so won't be effected.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    Exaggerating the issue doesn't help you know. I had to pay several hundred dollars and pass a background check for mine.

Besides, 3d printed guns are no more dangerous than any other gun, except maybe to the user, and if you intend to build one durable enough to do any real damage you will need metal components and they are then just as easy to detect as any other firearm.

All that said, as with the printers and money, it doesn't affect anyone day to day so I don't really see the issue. Plus, we as makers would just build our own printer with our own firmware and circumvent it anyways. There's no way at all to enforce this.

It's Commiefornia. They spend millions creating and enforcing worthless laws that the rest of the world wouldn't ever waste their time with, and then wonder why their economy is shot. The rest of the country rarely worries about or cares what laws they pass, and they are a running joke with everyone from grade school on up.

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ama-fessional Molder View Post
    Exaggerating the issue doesn't help you know. I had to pay several hundred dollars and pass a background check for mine.
    Is that rednecks only or all citizens?

Buying a gun at a gun fair
    background check person: 'say son do you want a gun ?'
    you: 'yes i do.'
    background check person: 'are you a terrorist and do you have a driving licence ?'
    you: 'no and yes.'
    background check person: ' good enough for me, what gun do you want ?'

Given the form you used to have to fill out when entering the states - that's not as daft as it sounds.
    There was ALWAYS a question asking if you were a terrorist.
    Stupid people used to tick yes for a laugh.
    18 hours and 3 body cavity searches and a little humourous water boarding later - they weren't laughing any more. Customs officers have no sense of humour.

So did you have to buy a LOT of crackerjacks and save up coupons then ?

Engineer-in-Training
    I didn't realize that the background check was just lying on a piece of paper and didn't have anything to do with actually calling a specific organization and checking criminal history, which is a thing that happens. It takes about 20 minutes to go through the whole process over the phone as a gun dealer.

And most people selling a used gun will do a basic online check to verify that someone is not a felon. Not to say that you can't just sell a gun to anyone, but it's a 5 year minimum sentence if you get caught so people tend to cover their asses.

You see, we don't believe in restricting anyone's rights BEFORE they commit a crime, so if the background check is clear, then why should they be stopped from buying something?

But I am sure you know all of this from firsthand experience and not just what you've read online.

EDIT: For minimum sentence accuracy.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    well it's a long running thing.

all iin one printers have had software on them for years that stops you photocopying money.

I know this because my test for a newly instelled printer at a clients used to be copying a £20 note.

Then one day a few years back It wouldn't do it. You just get crap come out. Everything else works fine, but on modern printers you just can't photocopy money anymore.

Plus with plastic printers you can always change the firmware to an older one.

Basically it's the same argument - nobody in the uk can print firearms without incurring the wrath of the men in black anyway.

Plus anything built into firmware can only be a database of parts they know about. design your own and it won't be in the database - so won't be effected.
    I can confirm this, they still use microdotting in photocopiers to trace bank note copying. The machines I work on use the yellow toner to spray practically invisible microdot serial number identification. Anywhere there is white, if you get a microscope you can see the yellow microdots. This is how they track which machine copied the bank note. Considering 99.9 percent of photocopiers are under a management agreement, tracking them down is pretty easy.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ama-fessional Molder View Post
    You see, we don't believe in restricting anyone's rights BEFORE they commit a crime, so if the background check is clear, then why should they be stopped from buying something?
    This is so important. More countries should adopt this approach.

well it's not why they are stopped - it's what they are stopped buying that's the issue.

Gun's don't kill people people WITH guns kill people.

I just prefer the uk approach. Have an actual reason for owning a gun.

Engineer-in-Training
    The reason for owning anything at all should be "because I want to".

Because freedom. Everyone should be free to do as they please so long as it does not harm anyone or infringe upon their rights.

Some people claim that they have a right to be safe, therefore other people around them shouldn't have guns. The problem with that is me owning a gun doesn't make my neighbors unsafe. Me carrying a gun in public doesn't reduce anyone's safety - as long as it sits in its holster. The part that is unsafe about carrying is already illegal. You can't just pull it out and start waving it around.

There's hundreds of pages of firearms laws already. Actions should be illegal, not objects.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast