Close

Best software for Kinect as 3D Scanner

What is the best and most useful software out there to use the Kinect as a 3D Scanner? Also, how would I go about using it as a scanner? Can I do it through my PC?

I've used reconstructme successfully to scan the kids' heads and print busts with and xbox360 kinect. There's a good instructable on it here.

Banned
    3D is reconstructme free? Will this work with the original kinect i have in my basement just lying around for the last several years?

Free for non-commercial use and works with my old kinect (xbox 360). Can download from the frontpage of reconstructme.net.

Does reconstructme work on the new Kinect? Also, I've heard that KSCAN3D is great software for scanning with the Kinect. Has anyone used it? I just don't like how it is priced at $299. Think it's worth it or can the free software work just as well?

reconstructme doesn't work with the new Kinect, as I understand it. The new Kinect doesn't have a standard USB port but Microsoft will be releasing a Windows-compatible version of the hardware and an SDK later this year. I'd expect a compatible version of reconstructme some time after that.