Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Can ABS withstand being submerged underwater 24/7?

Designed a toilet part and wondering what filament is the best to print in?

ABS @ 100% infill?

Or will I have to use something more expensive like nylon, etc.?

Engineer-in-Training
    Nylon is not very water resistant, as the polymer chains can break by reacting with water.

ABS is perfectly capable of withstanding water for many years.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yep abs should be fine - but you don't need 100% infill.
    Just use 5 or 6 shells and 15-20% infill.
    The number of shells are what make it water tight, so why waste filament on unnecesary infill ?

To be fair pla would probably be fine as well. Certainly in cold water.

Thanks for the quick feedback!
    I assumed nylon would be a better alternative because it's resistant to most liquid chemicals (from what I hear).
    And ABS doesn't exactly "appear" watertight or water resistant -- VS. how smooth and durable nylon looks after a print. Perhaps it's because I've been printing ABS at the 300 micron level. It just seems like water will seep through the lines and break down over time.

I'll keep in mind the number of shells. Nice to know it doesn't have to be 100% infill.

I've read from several sources that PLA will break down in water btw. Probably not an ocassional splash, but supposed if it's subjected to being underwater for long periods.

I primarily use ABS however, so if I can do most anything with that, I'll stick with it.

Does anyone know what kind of plastic is used by commercial manufacturers for toilet parts? I assume it's plastic injection molding, but what kind of plastic?

Engineer-in-Training
    Nylon is very resistent to organic solvents, but when you boil it in acidified water is will decompose. Nylon is made by a condensing reaction, that is a water molecule is split off to join two monomers together to form an amide bond. With the help of a water molecule that reaction can be reversed to split in into the monomers again.

ABS is resistent to many but not all organic solvents (think acetone smoothing here), but totally resistent to water.

PLA has the label of being biodegradable, however that is not fast. Many substances that are touted as 'biodgradable' take a very long time to do so. If a lab test shows that it is in principle possible (even after a very, very long time, and only under specific conditions), it will be labeled biodegradable to boost sales.

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Alibert View Post
    PLA has the label of being biodegradable, however that is not fast. Many substances that are touted as 'biodgradable' take a very long time to do so. If a lab test shows that it is in principle possible (even after a very, very long time, and only under specific conditions), it will be labeled biodegradable to boost sales.
    Lies
    Damn lies
    and Statistics.

Disraeli I think.

Would it be safe to assume that nylon could be used as a funnel (for example) to pour chemicals and solvents, such as oil/gas/bleach/acetone at room temperature? Since it would only have limited liquid contact...
    *But not as a storage container..

Engineer-in-Training
    If you print it water/air tight, yes.

Bleach will affect the nylon, how much mileage you get with that I don't know.

With gas I guess you mean petrol and not an actual gas like methane?

Staff Engineer
    ABS is commonly used for plumbing fittings: http://www.nibco.com/Fittings/Plasti...-DWV-Fittings/ so it's likely to be a good choice for your toilet parts, chemically speaking. But that's assuming it's mechanically sound, which isn't necessarily true in all directions for all 3D prints.

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi

Are you trying to simply submerge the part ?( = it's inside the tank) -- or-- are you trying to use the part to stop water flow? (= it's a stopper or gasket).

Nylon is a really bad thing to use in full time contact with water. It soaks up water and swells or it dries out and shrinks. Ultimately with enough water around it will crack and degrade. ABS is a much better option.

If you want water tight, a filament printer probably isn't your best choice. Even with a full infill, there are still paths though the print. If pressure is involved ... not a good thing.

Bob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast