Close

Looking to get into the industry

Hey, my name is Tommy. I'm a 17 year old who has designed and built a delta style 3D printer. I am looking to get into the industry and I have a few questions if anyone could answer them for me.

I would like to get into designing and building printers. I really like the process of designing something and watching it become a reality.

My first question is, what kind of education are companies looking for? Would a 2 year technical be enough? or should I be looking at 4 year collages? Or are they looking at experience more than education?

Also what are some entry level possessions that I can start looking to get into. I would like to get into the industry as I go to school so I can get a head start.

Is there anyone I can contact? I have reached out to a few companies already but I'm always looking for new contacts.

Any other information would be great!

Thanks!
    Tommy F

Engineer-in-Training
    If I were you, I would contact any manufacturer in the industry and ask for their opinions on what you need. Take notes, then go learn the stuff.

You can call the big names, and the smaller companies too. It never hurts to ask, worst they can do is not answer your questions. As a tip, you often get much better results by actually calling them instead of e-mails. I find that people are much more eager to please when they know they are talking to a real person.