Close

ABS Layers Not Sticking

I recently bought a Creator Pro and am now having problems with the ABS layers sticking together. The first few layers stick but as more are added the second layer of filament warps up. I am printing with the standard slicing defaults. A few days ago everything was working fine and I was not having problems with prints. Would the room temperature have anything to do with this? Today the room was probably ~70C and the printer is located near a cooling vent in the ceiling. Every part of the print was coming undone. Yesterday I was printing (with a slightly warmer room) and there was warping but not nearly as severe as today.

Thanks!

Engineer-in-Training
    There is no such thing as "standard slicing defaults." What temperature, layer height, bed temp, first layer height, are you printing at?

Poor layer adhesion is usually due to the print temp being too low and/or the layer height being too large.

Room temp and air flow can also affect things, as can the shape of your print. Long tall prints are nearly impossible to keep from warping in ABS without active heating in your build chamber.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    There is no such thing as "standard slicing defaults."
    unfortunately there are.

Most slicing programs offer Default settings for different materials. They are usually so wrong it's not even funny.

makerware tends to print everything much much too fast.

I've never used defualt settings on any other slicer and only the once on makerware.

So, yeah they do exist - but it's best to totally ignore them :-)

The defaults were (in replicatorG):
    infill: 10%
    layer height: 0.27mm
    shells: 1
    feedrate: 35mm/s
    travel federate: 25
    print temperature:220

Yesterday I got a mildly successful print, there was warping but it wasn't as severe as the previous day. Today I tried printing the same thing and the warping was so bad the print came off the raft. There was a noticeable change in room temperature from yesterday to today (today was much cooler). I have no idea if temperature would have that much of an affect, but that is the only change I noticed.