Close

The Founder of RepRap?

There is very little about RepRap online as far as I can tell. At least in terms of the company and who founded them. Does anyone know if there is a corporation behind RepRap, or if it is an individual owner? Just trying to get as much information about them as I can before I decide if I want to build a printer from them, or purchase one already made from another company.

Well thats a quiet easy one,

The first RepRap was the Darwin printer,
    Made by Adrian Bowyer,
    His is a British engineer and mathematician, formerly an academic at the University of Bath.

The plan was to make a printer that easly replicated itself, or atleast most parts (plastic parts obviously)
    Thats were the REP comes from Replicator, Rap is Rapid (Replicator Rapid)

He made it opensource so everyone could learn about this technology and do there part in it to improve its quality,
    That happend and diffrent printer models came, like a few famous ones are Prusa, Rostock/Delta, Ultimaker/Makerbot, CubeUp!

Some made there design Closed source wich is kinda dicky but ye ^^

Student
    To sum up what DrLuigi said,

Adrian Bowyer is the fonder of The RepRap Project.

BTW, MakerBot may have been open source at one time, but it was never a part of RepRap.

Well i added it to the list since its just one of the printers that are very compare able with the extrusion technique and to the general technology.
    Its not under the name Reprap, But its the same.