Close

Banned

“Personal 3D printers will be a bigger revolution than the Internet.” - Agree?

So According to Chris Anderson, former editor of Wired and author of “Makers: The New Industrial Revolution," Personal 3D printers will be a bigger revolution than the Internet.

He feels that within a decade 3d printers will in as many homes as the internet is in today, and that it will change almost every aspect of every economy globally.

My question is, do you agree with his statement? Why or why not?

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Disagree. Everyone has a use for the internet, if not a need. Less than everyone will have a use for 3D Printing. 3D printing will continue to grow, but I don't see it having more impact on human society than the internet.

Staff Engineer
    3D printing is certainly going to have a huge long-term effect on economics in the first world, sure. But the Internet has effects on the entire human condition for the same geogrphic area. Including serving as the basis that 3D printing is using to spread and function. Imagine a 3D printing revolution where you had to buy your g-code for each kind of item on a CDs like the clipart of the 90s, or pay the prices charged for 3D design software before global software distribution was an option for individuals.

I would classify 3D printing as being as impactful as the assembly line was during the Industrial Revolution, but not nearly as powerful as the Printing Press in its era or the Internet today.

Technologist
    I've read his book. 3D Printing and the Internet go hand in hand in completing the supply chain circle of the upcoming industrial revolution. 3D Printing allows access to the manufacturing and creation aspect of business. The Internet has long upgraded global customer acquisition and our shipping options. With these seemingly inexpensive tools makers and entrepreneurs can now execute each link of a business supply chain by themselves hence the "New Revolution"!

I don't think Sir Tim Berners-Lee need lose any sleepless nights on something changing the world like the Internet has done.

Quote Originally Posted by Davo View Post
    Disagree. Everyone has a use for the internet, if not a need. Less than everyone will have a use for 3D Printing. 3D printing will continue to grow, but I don't see it having more impact on human society than the internet.
    I'm with Davo.

OME

Technologist
    Definitely disagree... the internet was a massive revolution which changed every facet of our lives. In 200+ years it's possible that the technology in 3D printing would have evolved enough to be a useful and common household feature, but the internet would likely still be the backbone behind it.

Technologist
    C'mon some of you guys on this thread need some creativity and imagination

The internet is just information while 3D printing is actual physical objects.
    Last edited by squadus; 04-02-2014 at 02:11 PM.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by squadus View Post
    C'mon some of you guys on this thread need some creativity and imagination

The internet is just information while 3D printing is actual physical objects.
    Ah, but how do you build physical objects without first having information?

Okay, okay, you're right, 3D printers will one day print the internet! Game OVER!

I'm not so sure it will exceed that of the internet. 3D Printing will be gigantic for industry and manufacturing. I am still undecided what it will do for consumers. Will we see them in every home? Eventually.. However that may not be for another 50 years IMO.