Close

Banned

New Tribo-plastic Filament From Igus

It seems like the market for unique, innovative filament is heating up here lately. A German company called Igus has just unveiled a new type of filament for 3d printers which they call Tribo-plastic Filament .

Igus claims that the new filament is great for printing out bearings, and other objects which will have a lot of friction on them. The new tribo-plastic is very resistant to abrasion when compared with traditional PLA and ABS printer filament, up to 50 times more resistant actually, according to their internal tests.

Here is a video of some of the bearings which are self lubricated which Igus produces.

Their website is here: http://www.igus.com/

Just got a sample of this Igus tribo-plastic

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie View Post
    It seems like the market for unique, innovative filament is heating up here lately. A German company called Igus has just unveiled a new type of filament for 3d printers which they call Tribo-plastic Filament .

Igus claims that the new filament is great for printing out bearings, and other objects which will have a lot of friction on them. The new tribo-plastic is very resistant to abrasion when compared with traditional PLA and ABS printer filament, up to 50 times more resistant actually, according to their internal tests.

Here is a video of some of the bearings which are self lubricated which Igus produces.

Their website is here: http://www.igus.com/

A sample kit arrived with a small coil of this filament from Igus after I heard about this and expressed interest on their website. Also included a flash drive with printing instructions and an Igus screwdriver. Need to get my 2nd extruder unjammed (stuck full of PLA) so I can dual-strude ABS & Tribo as I don't want to waste the scarce sample quantity. Thinking a tight-fitting airgun breech would be a good trial for the lubricant properties... don't want to waste it printing a clone of an Igus linear bearing when I could just buy (a better molded one) from their website... so I need a cool application to try. Will follow up when I've tested it. Still does not appear to be available for sale, just sampling.

Engineer
    i have talked to a few people who got the same kit a couple weeks ago and so far the trouble is getting it to stick to the bed. if you get it worked out or have some feedback please post it up.