Close

Banned

NextEngine 3D Scanner, Opinions?

Has anyone tried this thing, the Next Engine 3D Scanner for $2995? On the site there seems to be some impressive scans. I'm wondering if it's worth the extra money over the new Makerbot scanner that's coming out. Opinions? http://www.nextengine.com/

The NextEngine 3D Scanner captures objects in full color with multi-laser precision. Breakthrough technology has made it the World's most popular 3D Scanner, with thousands of users in over 80 countries.

In one box is everything you need to digitize 3D models, including ScanStudio HD software. Exports to STL, OBJ, VRML, XYZ and other formats.

Output 3D scan models to popular design software like SolidWorks, 3ds Max, ZBrush, Rhino, Mathematica and more. Use with ScanStudio CAD Tools to quickly make surface files or RapidWorks to build solid files. Print models on Dimension, 3D Systems, zCorp, Objet, and other 3D printers

Student
    Yes, I have. In fact, I was given a personal demo at one of their offices in Santa Monica about two years ago. After seeing it first-hand, and receiving feedback from MULTIPLE parties, the consensus is that it is NOT something you want. The scans on the site look fantastic, but to actually ACHIEVE something like that? ...such as the face of a coin... Eeech.... Probably not gonna happen so much. Honestly, and no-joke here, you should try David 3D Scanner. I realize that's like someone saying how awesome Blender is on a Maya forum, but really, I'd give that a shot first. The Makerbot Scanner that they have also doesn't look like it's worth the money to me, and hey, maybe that's just me, but if you ARE looking to blow some cash, get the David structured light setup. It requires a little more effort, but you'll be happy you did it. My two cents.
    Last edited by CreativeCoPilot; 10-21-2013 at 11:31 PM.

Wow, I'm glad you left this review CreativeCoPilot! I was seriously considering this scanner! It's funny you don't really hear much about the NextEngine Scanner. I guess there is a reason for this?

I have seen this in action as well. I must say I, to the contrary, was pretty impressed. I wouldn't say it's any worse than the Digitizer. It's probably quite significantly better. Worth the $2995, probably not unless you do this for a business. I think their next generation will be a more well rounded scanner that will make use of more current technology.