Close

3D Printed Soup Bowls?

Hey, y'all!

I am interested in printing my own soup bowls and wanted to reach out with some initial questions about the process to see if it is feasible for my needs.

This would be a fairly large production, hypothetically 300 bowls. Ongoing production (not necessarily 300 bowls/batch each time).

Durability. Is the material used in 3D printing able to handle high heat? Is it food safe? Is it insulation enough to hold boiling liquid without burning one's hands when holding the bowl?

Cost. I know there is a vast range of options, but is there any way to ballpark cost a basic soup bowl, cost per bowl? Does this cost vary depending on color? Does it vary if any design or logo is added to the bowl? What about the cost of the printer itself? I am willing to spend more for a printer that can easily handle higher volume production (again, +/-300 bowls).

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by jezzeryoung;93080

Durability. Is the material used in 3D printing able to handle high heat?Is it food safe? Is it insulation enough to hold boiling liquid without burning one's hands when holding the bowl?

[There are many materials used for 3D printing. If you print in ceramic and fire it, then sure - it's food safe, and it won't burn your hands any more than any other ceramic bowl. But if you print your bowls using a FDM printer and ABS or PLA, then no - it's not really food safe and it's not suitable for boiling liquids.

Cost. I know there is a vast range of options, but is there any way to ballpark cost a basic soup bowl, cost per bowl? Does this cost vary depending on color? Does it vary if any design or logo is added to the bowl? What about the cost of the printer itself? I am willing to spend more for a printer that can easily handle higher volume production (again, +/-300 bowls).

[You can upload your 3D file to the Shapeways site and get a price for printing your bowl. Generally, color and details don't affect the cost much if at all; it's figured by the cubic volume.

If you buy a printer to do it yourself, then the cost varies depending on which printer you choose. The HighRel printer works with ceramic pastes, for example; you can ask Davo how much a suitable system would cost: http://www.hyrel3d.com/ Keep some room in your budget for a kiln, etc. ]

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!
    You might also consider investing in a potter's wheel - it's faster and considerably cheaper...

Engineer
    Don't bother, plastic failed miserably, most cheapo plastic have their glass transition near boiling point of water....
    And having them to endure heat cycle is just destroying them.

And you will likely face complaint from pissed off customer....

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by richardphat View Post
    Don't bother, plastic failed miserably, most cheapo plastic have their glass transition near boiling point of water....
    And having them to endure heat cycle is just destroying them.

And you will likely face complaint from pissed off customer....
    Hint:

Use the right plastic then.

Like Polypropylene. Or a food safe PETG.

Nah, you can print it just fine.

The problem is the inherent texture building up massive amounts of bacteria. That's the thing that prevents this from being done safely.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ama-fessional Molder View Post
    Hint:

Use the right plastic then.

Like Polypropylene. Or a food safe PETG.

Nah, you can print it just fine.

The problem is the inherent texture building up massive amounts of bacteria. That's the thing that prevents this from being done safely.
    Microwave/baking oven, some people will still do it despite the warning.

There is no need to argue about this topic. It is plain ripping yourself off. Better tell the op right off the bat that 3D printing isn't the solution for the large quantity production.

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    3D printing in plastic will not work - the plastic will deform, it will grow bacteria and be hard to clean with inherent step lines in the 3D print and the material not being dishwasher safe. The only workable material is 3D printed ceramic, available at services such as Shapeways. This is foodsafe and since it is post-glazed it is cleanable and has a beautiful smooth finish. It comes in several colors and adding a logo will not significantly change the price. You can even make the bowls customizable. Cost per bowl: US$ 50-100. The cost is fixed per bowl and does not change much with quantity, unlike with molding processes where you pay fixed costs for tooling. I recommend to go with 3D printing only if it is absolutely necessary to create a unique geometry or customizability and you find people willing to pay, say 10x more for this. You can also consider hiring a sculptor or potter.