Close

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Student
    Quote Originally Posted by soofle616 View Post
    I've been thinking along the same lines recently. Unfortunately, while I have the mechanical and design prowess to come up with a variety of solutions, I don't have the programming knowledge to make any needed changes to the firmware for an active head retraction method. Something passive like your spring retract might work though.
    Maybe between us we can come up with a solution - if time ever allows! A good read here: http://tinyurl.com/prr48wy regarding extruder forces, seem to be in the 1 to 3Kg range.

I have one of the Airtripper extruders for a 3D project I started a while back and hope to finish one day (this is as far as I got: http://tinyurl.com/ouzpgba ) but two house moves and two more to come next year have put that project on hold. I recently bought the FFCP as a stop-gap as needed parts for my main project (http://www.cine2digits.co.uk/). It was for this project I discovered that a thin white ABS layer (0.4 to 0.6) makes for a good diffuser with performance not to dissimilar to expensive, and soon to become extinct, flashed opal glass. The problem of the head(s) dragging across the surface is not tolerable for this application!

So, I think I'm also having the issue with my Creator Pro dragging. However, I don't even have hex sockets on the screw I think you're referring to (image is dead on page 1).

Are these the two screws I need to adjust? If so, I would have to loosen mine with vice grips I'm guessing.

extruders.jpg

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    If the nozzles are level and you're getting head drags - you're bed is not perfectly level.
    Solution: add a level bed. I use 3mm aluminium.

Also leave both heads in place and level once you've sorted the bed out. Otherwise the head you use gets worn down by rubbing on print (when it goes back over extruded parts of alayer to reach unextruded areas) and you go back to the uneven heads job again.

I fitted two new nozzlkes a while ago and had no height problems since.

But the most important issue is getting a perfectly level print bed.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    If the nozzles are level and you're getting head drags - you're bed is not perfectly level.
    Solution: add a level bed. I use 3mm aluminium.

Also leave both heads in place and level once you've sorted the bed out. Otherwise the head you use gets worn down by rubbing on print (when it goes back over extruded parts of alayer to reach unextruded areas) and you go back to the uneven heads job again.

I fitted two new nozzlkes a while ago and had no height problems since.

But the most important issue is getting a perfectly level print bed.
    Just to add, it is important to get a perfectly level bed with the printer fully up to temp, not the nozzles though.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by catalyst View Post
    So, I think I'm also having the issue with my Creator Pro dragging. However, I don't even have hex sockets on the screw I think you're referring to (image is dead on page 1).

Are these the two screws I need to adjust? If so, I would have to loosen mine with vice grips I'm guessing.

extruders.jpg
    Those aren't screws, they are ceramic heating elements. The set screws are in the back. Horrible place for them because you have to take the steppers off to get to them...

well, that is good to know. Rather than screw with it, I just shimmed the left side and I'll see how that goes. I think the bed is warped anyhow, so I'll need to invest in a glass bed.

Student
    So as to fully understand this thread, PLEASE can the first photo be re-uploaded?

Ta muchly

So a couple of weeks ago I decided I needed to do this as left head slightly scraped over printing parts. Read first posts and it seemed simple enough should have read more of thread before starting! Took fans off and no set screws, then read enough more to know they are on the back(PowerSpec Pro), so ok take it apart. Thought why not turn so screws are on front so swapped heads which of course does not work because of offset, but now can't swap back because they are now frozen in place. Tried pulling, prying, and taping for a couple of hours scratching everything pretty good and no movement, so thinking I'm screwed. Last resort before ordering new parts tried spray lube and managed to wiggle them out. Had I carefully read the whole thread it would have saved me a lot of grief.

Got everything back together and it was the same still off just a little so had to take apart and redo with calipers handy. So now I have ordered the part
    jfkansas designed, looks like it will make things a lot easier.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by incomenet View Post
    So a couple of weeks ago I decided I needed to do this as left head slightly scraped over printing parts. Read first posts and it seemed simple enough should have read more of thread before starting! Took fans off and no set screws, then read enough more to know they are on the back(PowerSpec Pro), so ok take it apart. Thought why not turn so screws are on front so swapped heads which of course does not work because of offset, but now can't swap back because they are now frozen in place. Tried pulling, prying, and taping for a couple of hours scratching everything pretty good and no movement, so thinking I'm screwed. Last resort before ordering new parts tried spray lube and managed to wiggle them out. Had I carefully read the whole thread it would have saved me a lot of grief.

Got everything back together and it was the same still off just a little so had to take apart and redo with calipers handy. So now I have ordered the part
    jfkansas designed, looks like it will make things a lot easier.
    Thanks, just saw the notification pop up. I hope to have a video up on installation/use of it later this week but was busy printing misc stuff this weekend. I too had the same issue of getting the thermal barrier tubes out after the set screw leaves its mark. The set screws really gall things up. On my original flashforge parts I ended up drilling out the mounting hole a little, but this doesn't do anything for heat transfer at all since only a sliver of metal to metal contact is left after the set screw pushes the tube forward in the hole.

One of the most important things to do when putting this new system on is getting the thermal tubes nice and smooth again. This will help insure that the tubes slide up and down easily when the clamps are loosened. I have been using the system for a couple of months now with no issues. Periodically check the clamp bolt to make sure it is tight.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay2PT View Post
    So as to fully understand this thread, PLEASE can the first photo be re-uploaded?

Ta muchly
    I second that

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast