Close

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Add Geoff on Thingiverse

Flashforge Creator Dual / Pro How to fix Dual Extruders dragging across prints.

Hi Guys,

**Update

This thread also contains in the posts below information on how to fix this problem on the NEW flashforges too.

Any of us with the FF or makerbot dual extruder models know the pain. Print anything wider than the distance between the two nozzles and "Griiiind" you get the nozzle drag on the print. This can cause both bad prints, it can mess your hotbed levelling up and at worst, knock your print right off the platform while printing.

There is a very simple fix to this. It requires your stock allen key set for the Flashforge. One for the cooling fan and a small one for the nozzle height adjust.

Photos show the original FF extruders, but even the new ones are pretty much the same, or at least for this procedure.

Undo the two screws keeping the Fan in, just put it to the side (we have no need to unload filament or remove the motor.)

What you are looking for is this little sucker...

Now the obvious first question I had is "Oh man.. how am I going to get these perfectly level?" Answer is ...

I have to be brutally honest here. I made no measurements. I checked no levels.. I simply took a best guess.

First time I tried, I loosened the hex, then I pulled/twisted the nozzle so hard, it pulled almost all the way out! So I thought.. oh no, I messed up here! I only wanted it to move a TINY bit.. now it's completely out!

Turns out, they CAN'T go in too far. Just push the nozzle head up as far as it goes and stop just before you touch the black plastic that's covering the bearing and extruder gear, then do the same to the other one .

The idea is to have one slightly higher than the other (and I do mean slightly! like 0.05mm) Once this is done, run a calibration in your machine from the front panel to make sure it's printing on the bed properly from both nozzles and they are aligned.

I did this personally when the head was mounted on the machine - the photo is just of my spare head, to save me the bother of unscrewing my machine to take a shot

For the more particular people, See the Blue Circle? Now look above the circle. See that little gap between the end of the nozzle and the actual feeder? that's your measurement space there - its much easier to measure that than the nozzle heights.
    Last edited by Geoff; 02-29-2016 at 01:08 AM.

So that's simply a setscrew that adjusts the nozzle height?

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by ixlr8 View Post
    So that's simply a setscrew that adjusts the nozzle height?
    Yep, it's that simple! The only thing I suggest is making sure Top end of the nozzle, the silver cylindrical tube, does not touch the plastic of the extruder attachment, just a few mm away from it, mine is like 1mm away, i fear touching might melt it

Makes me wonder if we are trying to level our print beds using misaligned nozzles. The leveling would never end....

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by ixlr8 View Post
    Makes me wonder if we are trying to level our print beds using misaligned nozzles. The leveling would never end....
    That's what drove me to that point to be honest, I just couldn't get mine to stop dragging, I levelled and levelled and levelled until my fingers fell off, I couldn't for the life of me get it to stop dragging - so I was going to remove an extruder and in pulling it apart found that bolt, and decided to see what it would do - turns out it fixed my problem more than I could have hoped for - I can even have a slightly off level bed and it still prints without dragging.

Alot of people I know with dual extruders do not use them, and I can understand that it can be a pain, so even with this method, you could raise one up say, 2-3mm and get it out of the way without having to remove the whole nozzle or even unplug it. And, if you are printing small items, you could still use both extruders as long as you rotate the piece the right way to avoid dragging - and worst case scenario you can just adjust the nut again and get it level.

The trick is getting the nozzles and the bed level right? yeah im still getting around the best way of doing that with our machine, if I find an efficient way I think works well i'll post it, but for now I dont do anything special at all, just alot of trial and error

Great news gentlemen! - this adjustment screw is now on the back (my machine a few weeks old)

which makes it much easier to get to - NOT!

which means you get to do something like this

my notes -

The fan screws hold the stepper motors on.

I think it would have been easier had i unloaded the filament first.

you can put the fan screws into the mounting holes on the bottom of the plate, and mine were spot on the same length - if only i had something the right height to check it against... i did think about printing one... and then was like.. oh yeah.. pieces..

It's hard to measure with calipers - as there are no good parallel surfaces to the nozzles - but i think i did ok.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    oh wow... thanks for the pics SL666..

I wonder why on earth they would do that!

Why don't you just flip them around now why you have it pulled apart lol! might make it easier for the future... (as in take both nozzles out, and flip the aluminum bar - same thing, wont affect anything)

I was thinking about that - but the nozzles are offset in the mounting bar.. so it would change their location and not work with the extruder drive..

Looks like the nozzles are now pretty level - no dragging, but of course i now have a clogged nozzle :P

And clogged nozzle fixed - tried 250c preheat and pushing it through, no dice, so i disassembled and found this:

so i pre-heat to 250 again let it cook for a minute, and grabbed it with a pair of pliers and it came straight out.. no force at all.

I'm getting reasonably proficient at removing the extruders.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by SL666 View Post
    And clogged nozzle fixed - tried 250c preheat and pushing it through, no dice, so i disassembled and found this:

so i pre-heat to 250 again let it cook for a minute, and grabbed it with a pair of pliers and it came straight out.. no force at all.

I'm getting reasonably proficient at removing the extruders.
    Ahh I see what you mean about the offset, ah well , it's not like you need to adjust it often and as you said, you are getting handy taking them off. It's only a couple of screws really isnt it for an extruder, im glad they made it as basically constructed as they did, makes my simple brain work much less harder.
    Last edited by Geoff; 02-29-2016 at 01:10 AM.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast