Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Build Plate Coating? Blue Painters Tape, Glue or Something else?

Guys, what do you recommend for printing with PLA? What do you put on your build plate? I've been using Blue painters tape, but I know not everyone does this. What do you guys prefer? What do you find works the best?

Engineer-in-Training
    I'm very happy printing on glass using glue stick on the surface (no hotbed), applying it after slightly wetting the surface of the stick works very well... too well sometimes but I keep a hammer at hand to tap any stubborn parts off the printing bed.

I'm using the 2090 Tape on a unheated bed. I wipe the surface with some 90% alcohol and it sticks to the PLA so well I often cannot even remove it. I prefer it over a heatbed+hairspray because I don't get that problem where the initial layers bulge out due to the heat.

For PLA, try printing on cold glass with Hairspray applied to it.
    The hairspray must have in it's composition VA/VP:water soluble copolymers that make PLA stick to it.

I've used it for two years and works great.

I usually use glue sticks. Works pretty well. Funkymonk, I never thought of cold glass, but that seems brilliant.

I use diluted PVA glue. Works wonders on a heated print bed and pops off nicely when cooled. I used to use blue painter's tape but had problems with the tape lifting, plus difficulties getting it off the bed when it did work.

Student
    My vote would be for Elmer's purple glue sticks on a glass build plate. Apply a thin layer when the plate is cold. Works like a charm; easy clean up and builds pop right off after cooling. Works well with ABS, PLA and Nylon.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Aquanet hairspray.

Hi Guys,

I just recently bought a Duplicator 4 after 25 years as a traditional model maker. I too struggled with the whole "How do I make my prints stick on the bed" thing and my solution is to use a glass plate that I spread PVA glue (white school glue) across as thinly as possible. I let the heated bed cure the glue and simply print. I havent had a single print fail since. The benefit as well is that you let your print cool and simply soak the plate and print in water...The PVA dissolves and the print floats free. This works well with both ABS and PLA

Hope it helps

Peter

I just use black painter's tape for PLA. Sometimes if I print with Nylon I will put a coating of Elmers No-run glue on top of the tape. Seems to work the best for me, but I must admit that I haven't tried many other options.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast