Close

Sierra Resins 3D Printer BioFilament Under Testing

Sierra Resins has teamed with 3D Printlife to create and market a new type of 3d printer filament. They are calling this filament biofilament because of it's ability to easily biodegrade. The new environmentally friendly plastic is undergoing end stage testing and is expected to be on the market sometime this year:

http://3dprint.com/1733/sierra-resin...stic-filament/

This is certainly a nice move by the company and one that will certainly be heralded by the industry.

Cool idea, but I'd rather just see people recycle their filament, rather than worrying about it biodegrading. We could save a ton of money and resources by recycling plastics.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by WinceNWine View Post
    Cool idea, but I'd rather just see people recycle their filament, rather than worrying about it biodegrading. We could save a ton of money and resources by recycling plastics.
    I would have to agree, I would much prefer a system to recycle. I don't want to use bio-degradable plastic, more specifically plastic that can easily degrade. I'm all for saving the environment, but you can bet your ass if I spend 40+ hours printing something out, I do not want it to degrade in any way shape or form.
    Last edited by Geoff; 03-24-2014 at 03:23 AM.

Plastic is plastic. Printing a work of art and knowing that it will degrade is sad.
    I am into recycling the filaments.