Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

3dprinting in the classroom

My main job is a full time teacher of Product Design to high school students in the UK 11 - 16 year olds. As part of this I started teaching 3dprinting to them a few years ago and the kids have taken it on board big style. One of the first projects I teach them after basic 3d cad modelling is how to model an iphone case and then how to add a personalised design. Then further on I teach them how to create basic parts for the construction of a lamp using 3dprinting. Some students get hooked on it and integrate 3dprinting as a core feature of their lamps. They have to demonstrate skills beyond 3dprinting as well, so they user lasercutting and traditional craft techniques. The end result has to be commercially viable if developed further.

Below are some of the examples..... not bad for 15/16 year olds. I entered them into the 3dprintshow awards in London last year and won the Educational Excellence award for 3dprinting with students, proudest moment of my teaching career http://3dprintshow.com/global-awards/

Philip Cotton
    Attached Images Attached Images

It each math and science in the 6th grade. Part of the grant is that we will have some after school activities where the students will have an opportunity after school to design and print their creations. I am just wanting the students to get a chance to try out this technology.

We deploy the use of 3D printing to generate interest in manufacturing in the broader community in Rapid City, SD as well as teach mechanical engineering students Design for Additive Manufacturing. The use of open source systems allows our students can get into the guts of these machines and learn more than just manufacturing; they get to learn programming, machine design, supply chain management, and more.
    We hosted a 3D Printing camp in the July 2014 with 18 High School students from around the US and challenged them to truly use these systems for iterative product development and product design. These 15, 16, and 17 year old students formed teams and competed to design a 3D printed water pump. After 6 days of mentoring, lectures and lots of 3D printing they competed to see which team could pump the most water in 15 minutes. The winning team pumped 8.3 gallons. We continue to accelerate the educational aspect of 3DP and have been integrating a program to train technicians how to operate advance manufacturing equipment (eg. Directed Energy Deposition, material extrusion, and vat-photopolymerization systems). Further we have developed engineering education programs with direct write technologies for security printing and advanced antenna manufacturing. We have 2 six-axis systems, one with a tool changer (for metrology and machining).

http://www.additivemanufacturinglaboratory.com/

Engineer
    In our engineering school, Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal, we have 2 teachers that frequently bring their 3D printer for demo. Because they teach how to 2D drawing and 3D modeling, it was a must for them to do a live demo so students can understand.

I am an art teacher in Ohio, and am planning a 3-D STEM art class for next school year. I am asking the school for a 3-D printer, and will spend the summer learning how to use it!

Student
    I am currently volunteering at a local high school to teach students about STEM. The students are currently competing at a robotics competition and will be using the technology to make fixtures for testing.

Hey Philip

I would love to do this lesson with my students. Would you be so kind to share your lesson with me.
    Cindy
    crubino@essextech.org

I got question form the school if I could make lesson about 3D printing, and Im wonder where to begin ? There is a lot of materials about 3D printing in internet, I can also use User Manuals to printer/software etc. but I wonder if one of you guys have some lessons prepared (f.eg. as a presentation) and would like to share with me ? I will be grateful. aleksandra.marszalek(at)simplify.no

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by aleksandra View Post
    I got question form the school if I could make lesson about 3D printing, and Im wonder where to begin ? There is a lot of materials about 3D printing in internet, I can also use User Manuals to printer/software etc. but I wonder if one of you guys have some lessons prepared (f.eg. as a presentation) and would like to share with me ? I will be grateful. aleksandra.marszalek(at)simplify.no

Show them how to run the printer without breaking them and safety concern. We had engineering students (lol yes you read it right) that were smart enough to cut their hand with the knife spatula when they tried to remove print from the bed. We told them to wear safety gloves, but they did not.

It shows that even if you are mature enough, you will still do idiot thing.

The thing its that I have to talk about it not i an hour or two, but probably whole course 20 hours or something (I dont know the details yet), and it will be lectures for Art School students (15 person). And they will not use printer during the lesson, until the school will decide to buy, so it will be only a theory, with examples on the pictures, etc. Its easy to explain the whole thing in one hour, but to plan it for more time... its getting difficult of course I can talk about safety stuff etc. but what else ? doeas anyone of you have done some lectures properly ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast