Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

Are you a Teacher or Professor that is Utilizing 3D Printing in the Classroom?

We are introducing 3DPrintBoard.com's "3D Printing in Education" forums, to encourage use of 3D Printing and modeling in the classroom. Please use this folder this discussion folder to talk about ideas, and projects that you have been taking part in, in your classrooms. The idea of this folder is to encourage the exchange of ideas between teachers and professors.

Thanks
    Eddie Krassenstein

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    Well, I'm not a teacher, but I did help one of our Geometry teachers last year. He wanted a bunch of examples to use in the class. I got on Tinkercad and made a bunch of basic shapes, when I went to print them I ran the stl files through programs like Meshlab and Netfabb and got the surface area and volume of all the models. I printed them and gave him the numbers.

I assume you could do something similar for other areas of math, but from what I can gather it has the most uses in Geometry.

I hope this is the kind of thing this folder is for. If I get asked to make things for other teachers, I'll share when it happens. I think the physics/science teacher could use a few things... Maybe models of cells that split open or something.

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse
    Sounds good. 3D Printing is really starting to become common in schools and among universities. We want to have a community where teachers and professors can share ideas for class projects, and share things that their students have designs and printed.

We are also offering private folders for teachers to set up for their classes. It would be a good spot for teachers to post assignments, and discuss things with their students when they are not in the classroom.

Eddie

I think a forum that facilitates discussion between students could be just as valuable as a forum that facilitates discussion between teachers. This is a field where students knowledge of the subject will quickly outpace the teachers, unless the teachers are specialized 3D instructors, which probably aren't all that common yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I think a forum that facilitates discussion between students could be just as valuable as a forum that facilitates discussion between teachers. This is a field where students knowledge of the subject will quickly outpace the teachers, unless the teachers are specialized 3D instructors, which probably aren't all that common yet.
    We agree. That's why we have a Student folder, also set up.
    Eddie

Banned
    I am interested in 3d printing. Could you explain me how can I use it in my English classes?

Quote Originally Posted by ruellesmith View Post
    I am interested in 3d printing. Could you explain me how can I use it in my English classes?
    Print out a skull and hold it out to the heavens while reciting Shakespeare.
    If you want, you can search www.thingiverse.com for designs relating to any books your class might be reading. Possibly even architectural designs of famous buildings you might take field trips to.

Other than that, off the top of my head there isn't much I could think to do with this technology in an English class environment...

Staff Engineer
    Maybe you could have the students try writing a user's manual, that would clearly explain in simple English how to use the printer, including how to use the various programs required, like Pronterface, Slic3r and Skeinforge, set it up to use different materials and troubleshoot it - many of us would appreciate something like that. You might start with a critique of some of the existing documentation users are currently struggling with, which is written entirely in technobafflegab: http://reprap.org/wiki/Printrun http://manual.slic3r.org/ http://fabmetheus.crsndoo.com/wiki/index.php/Skeinforge

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Just got two solidoodle 4 printers for my classroom today. Can't wait to try using them with students.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoswvu View Post
    Just got two solidoodle 4 printers for my classroom today. Can't wait to try using them with students.

What do you teach?

Let us know how it goes, I'm trying to get our printers to get used by more classes so I'd love to know how you're integrating it into your curriculum.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast