Close

Threaded View

3dprinting in the classroom

My main job is a full time teacher of Product Design to high school students in the UK 11 - 16 year olds. As part of this I started teaching 3dprinting to them a few years ago and the kids have taken it on board big style. One of the first projects I teach them after basic 3d cad modelling is how to model an iphone case and then how to add a personalised design. Then further on I teach them how to create basic parts for the construction of a lamp using 3dprinting. Some students get hooked on it and integrate 3dprinting as a core feature of their lamps. They have to demonstrate skills beyond 3dprinting as well, so they user lasercutting and traditional craft techniques. The end result has to be commercially viable if developed further.

Below are some of the examples..... not bad for 15/16 year olds. I entered them into the 3dprintshow awards in London last year and won the Educational Excellence award for 3dprinting with students, proudest moment of my teaching career http://3dprintshow.com/global-awards/

Philip Cotton
    Attached Images Attached Images