Close

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter

What is 3D Modeling To You?

I know that there is already an introductions board but I wanted to do something a bit different. I want to know more about what this industry means to you guys.

What does 3D Modeling and printing mean for you and your future?
    How do you see this as impacting society?
    Do you see a positive future for people like us who are devoted to this stuff?
    How long do you think this will last before it becomes so common it is no longer popular?
    Is this just a 'fad' that will pass eventually, like how they saw computers so many years ago?
    How much of your life is currently invested in modeling and printing?

Any other questions?

To answer my own questions:
    I'm looking to go into a future of either Architectural Design or some form of I.T.. My job will hopefully be based around this stuff, or at least help me along the way.
    This will revolutionize the way we do everything. At the push of a button - whatever you want is yours!
    God I hope so... If this turns around and flops in the end, I'm screwed...
    I give it ten years before every house has some form of 3D-Printer and it becomes like having an iPhone... Not really that special, but still an interesting thing to show off.
    No, this is not just another 'fad' this will last.
    I've poured the last two or three years into modeling, and the past two with printing.

What about you?

Technician
    3D printing is a way of having the ability to make things for personal use at home.

Make parts such as a new fridge handle that is not available as a spare part, castors to fit the bottom af a parrot cage, flexible gradient risers for a model railway, parts to repair or modify something.

Basically, if you have the imagination and you can design it in 3D software you can make it.

As with all technology, what we have today will only improve and get faster and cheaper to buy.

Strange how this "Off Topic" category as gone from topics to links for websites just to get clicks to move up the Google search engine.
    Last edited by Axel; 08-27-2022 at 06:19 AM.