Close

Lower resolution causes Z Axis to not work

Good day to you all. Strange issue with my build. When I print a cube 20mm on 0.3 resolution it prints perfectly.
    If I change the resolution 0.2 the z axis does not move. I keep my hand on the lead screw to see if I can feel it move and it does not. This is the same for 0.1 resolution

Does anybody have any ideas.

I am using a CTC duel coveted to Ramps 1.4 marlin

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    what slicer are you using ?
    Sounds like a gcode issue.

I'm using Cura. I am going to reluctantly dive into the G-Code and find this flipping error as it is all that it can be.

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi

Just for reference, how many steps per mm is Marlin set up for?

Bob

X = 99.652,
    Y = 93.894,
    Z = 406.7484,
    E = 97.2575

X and Y are perfect within 0.01mm
    Extruder is spot on

Its just when changing resolution i get this issue

G-Code on a Friday im so cool

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi

So you should get a bit over 80 steps at a Z of 0.2 mm. You are way away from any sort of rounding, micro step, or binary boundary issue at that point.

Bob

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    mattbatt84 - what do you see when you do a layer-by-layer review of the print in a gcode viewer? Some slicers have one built-in, or a popular one is available at gcode.ws

If the viewer doesn't show the entire height of the print as you expect, you know the issue is in the slicer.

EDIT: It's always a good idea to look the gcode in a viewer when a print isn't coming out as expected. Slicers have limitations on what they will command a printer to do. For example, if your print involves very thin walls, you could have a combination of slicer settings (maybe layer height, nozzle size, extrusion width) that causes the slicer to think it can't print them. Unfortunately, you get no warning in these cases - the slicer just ignores that part of your object and provides no gcode for it. If nothing else, checking the gcode in a viewer is at least a quick and easy thing to do.
    Last edited by printbus; 07-08-2016 at 03:28 PM. Reason: grammar