Close

3D Printed Solar Panels Which Work Best When Cloudy

Scientists at Britain's National Physical Laboratory have developed a method of 3D printing Organic PV solar cells, which work best when the sun is hidden by clouds:

http://3dprint.com/1666/scientists-3...t-when-cloudy/

The technology is progressing fast, and should be in full use within the next 5 years. The cells can be printed in any color, or even transparent, and placed in any shape. They are also much lighter than traditional solar panels we are all used to so they can be placed on roofs and on windows without needed extra structural support. This is great for areas in the northern parts of America, Canada, and Northern Europe who see very little sun, especially in the winter.

Student
    Hi;
    I get excited by a lot of inventions, and as I always tell, it will never end ! My profession is inside IT, and I am focusing on 3D printing.
    But I am also very interested in energy efficiency, and development in that sector. Have so far not taken solar power too serious, as
    cost / performance seems to be of a problem, if commercial thinking.
    But, what you present her sounds very interesting, and I would like to get more news and technical understanding of this development.
    Solar parks built up with this, how would estimated production / economy look ? Is it too early to expect figures on this ?
    Am writing this just after reading the article in 3DPrint.com. Will of course start further investigations and search for info.
    I am sitting in Latvia, and see the interest both for Latvia, and also for Norway (am Norwegian).

Hi.
    Nice to see an increasing interest in organic solar cells.

First I would like to add that while the technology explained in the article is impressive it is not the technology being showcased in the video. The fast installation of organic solar cells was made at DTU Energy Conversion. You can read much more about it at http://plasticphotovoltaics.org/solar-park. These solar cells are made fully by printing and coating techniques and in fact represents one of the energy technologies with the shortest energypayback time of 180 days.

Secondly I would like to suggest everybody with an interest in organic solar cells to check out the coursera course "Organic Solar Cells - Theory and Practice", see more at http://plasticphotovoltaics.org/coursera.

Best regards
    The solar cell team at DTU Energy Conversion

If there is ongoing interest in organic solar cells and you want to have hands-on experience or integrate them in your 3D printed (electronic) projects, just visit www.infinityPV.com
    There, flexible printed(!) organic solar cells are available from stock.

Technologist
    Follow raysspl On Twitter Add raysspl on Facebook
    I'm so excited for this to progress!

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Even at 13%, that seems pretty low compared to many other cell configurations which exceed 25 and some up to 40% range. Still, a long way yet to go.

But, the 3D printing aspect is intriguing to say the least. Imagine a 3D printed TREE, complete with green leaves. And it generates power And birds nest in it happily filling our lives with their pleasant song. Totally blended with the environment, totally inconspicuous and pleasing to look at. No more stupid looking panels on your roof. Print a nice looking tree to put in your front yard that also runs your flatscreen tv. Thats the progress I want to see. Technology that doesn't look like technology or doesn't look like Ikea designed it.

Or a hedgerow that provides enough power to run your well's pump to water your lawn. Or a park bench that has an outlet to charge cell phones or mp3 players. Or a car dash that keeps the battery topped off. Or the deck of a sailboat that also recharges its batteries for free. Or a retractable awning that also runs your bugzapper.

And to take it farther...imagine a city without lamp posts. Gone are the metal poles. Instead, trees that collect and store the energy and release it at night and look aesthetically pleasing as well as offering shade to park under.

But, at 13%, none of it is gonna happen. At this low conversion rate, I doubt that a semi tractor trailer that has a roof covered with this stuff could run even one of its headlights. You are certainly not going to be charging your Prius's with these any time soon.