Close

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Super Moderator
    I liked Makergeeks until recently I got a bunch of ABS and the rolls are soaked. They steam and pop when extruded. I fail to understand how it can get so moisture soaked in such a short time.
    I am hesitant to get anything from them again.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
    Hi

Ok, well let's toss up some numbers, just to get it down to math:

I get filament from MakerGeeks. It's $15 a KG delivered in 4 spool batches. It can be PLA, PETG, or ABS for that price. It all prints great on all of my printers. No clogs. No breaks. No weird behavior at all. No reason to pay any more. The stuff works fine. It's their "first run" product, not the recycled material.

Is anybody selling great filament for less (delivered price) ?

Bob

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    There is a guy selling a stock of 500 1kg rolls of 3mm PLA and ABS from 3dfilamenten.nl in the Netherlands, at less than $7 a roll.
    I bought 24 rolls.

Here is my comparison to Colorfabb and 3DOM filaments:

Colorfabb
    Layer-layer adhesion: 4/5
    Flow: 5/5
    Smoothness of print: 4/5
    Accuracy: 5/5
    Color quality: 5/5
    Flexibility: 4/5

3DOM
    Layer-layer adhesion: 5/5
    Flow: 5/5
    Smoothness of print: 5/5
    Accuracy: 3/5
    Flexibility: 5/5

3Dfilamenten
    Layer-layer adhesion: 4/5
    Flow: 4/5
    Smoothness of print: 4/5
    Accuracy: 5/5
    Flexibility: 2/5

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by wirlybird View Post
    I liked Makergeeks until recently I got a bunch of ABS and the rolls are soaked. They steam and pop when extruded. I fail to understand how it can get so moisture soaked in such a short time.
    I am hesitant to get anything from them again.
    Hi

Over the years, I have gotten strange batches of filament from a variety of people. I also store filament in less than ideal conditions. A cheap vacuum pump and a vacuum rated pot have cleared up the majority of the issues.

It does *not* help much with the rolls of 3 mm filament I still have sitting around in the "brave new world" of 1.75 mm extruders .... Eventually I'll have to rebuild a 3 mm machine to use the stuff up. My guess is that the vacuum pump will be working overtime on those rolls. Some are going on 4 years old and even the pump may not resurrect them.

Truth in lending: Most of what I have used from them has been PETG, I've run a half dozen spools of ABS and about the same in PLA. There's been maybe 4X that many rolls of PETG in various flavors.

Bob
    Last edited by uncle_bob; 11-14-2016 at 08:32 AM.

Super Moderator
    I have tried Makergeeks and it worked pretty good. Did have some issues with "wet" ABS though. Had a tough time getting them to respond to help requests. Haven't completely given up on them.

I have also been using Hatchbox PLA and ABS and it seems to be going good. Their wood was pretty straight forward.

Trying out eSun PETG and so far it has been fairly easy to get going.

Also an ASA from Ridged ink I think it is. Pretty easy to get going also.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456