Close

Thread: Stiff filament?

Engineer-in-Training

Stiff filament?

I have PowerSpec Ultra 3D printer and Simplify3D software. After printing most of the parts for the Subaru 4-cylinder boxer engine, the Hatchbox PLA filament became too stiff and and I couldn't print anymore parts because the filament broke inside the extruder. I think the spool is about 1/4 full. How can I fix the problem?

Follow 3dex ltd On Twitter Add 3dex ltd on Facebook
    Was the filament too stiff because you were reaching the end of the spool and using filament that had been tightly wound around the spool. (so when you un-wound the filament it broke)? This can be solved by unwinding the filament and gently rewinding it in the opposite direction. Or sometimes just unwinding it and leaving it for a few days will work.

Or...

Did the filament become stiff over time and simply breaks when you apply any sort of pressure? This is usually caused by moisture absorption in the filament. This can be cured by drying out the filament either in a warm oven for a while or using silica gel/beads in an air-tight container.

Engineer-in-Training
    Was the filament too stiff because you were reaching the end of the spool and using filament that had been tightly wound around the spool. <- this is what happened to my spool. I put the spool in the air-tight container with silica gel/beads.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    what colour is the filament ?

Engineer-in-Training
    Hatchbox PLA white 1.75mm

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    I have the same issue with one of my filaments. What temperature should the oven be set at?

Apart from the brittleness, what is your experience with Hatchbox PLA over other brands? I am considering switching over to this brand as my go-to filament.