Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Just a couple upgrades for the itty bitty. I would like to see an easy cable chain attachment system. Also, I would love to see a system that retracts a hot end when not in use. It would only have to be a few mm. BTW, I love my itty bitty V2.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Also, I would love to see a system that retracts a hot end when not in use
    Now that IS a good idea.

I've currently got one printer with a nozzle removed to avoid hassle.
    The other printer still has both nozzles attached. But it's a much better built machine and I've never had issues with the nozzle not in use. Plus I use it for dual material prints as well.

Oh and roxy - there is a filament you can print and heat to get metal object :-)
    http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...rinting-Powder

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    Oh and Roxy - there is a filament you can print and heat to get metal object :-)
    http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...rinting-Powder
    Very Cool! I want a spool of it!!!

Like this?

http://vid113.photobucket.com/albums...ps4kbwfn1m.mp4

Quote Originally Posted by jackal24 View Post
    Just a couple upgrades for the itty bitty. I would like to see an easy cable chain attachment system. Also, I would love to see a system that retracts a hot end when not in use. It would only have to be a few mm. BTW, I love my itty bitty V2.

I also want a pair of extruders like that!

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi

Ok, how about a dual extruder setup for the Pegasus 12" with fans on the extruders and dual fans to cool the object? The only real changes from the existing "state of the art" would be the Pegasus mount and getting a fan on the back side of the system.

===

In terms of crazy ideas: A microswitch that signals when you have run out of filament. Yes, it would need to *go* somewhere to actually be useful. I suppose that even without software support you could use it to fire a buzzer. With the switch on the extruder, you would have to be mighty fast to correct the problem

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
    In terms of crazy ideas: A microswitch that signals when you have run out of filament. Yes, it would need to *go* somewhere to actually be useful. I suppose that even without software support you could use it to fire a buzzer. With the switch on the extruder, you would have to be mighty fast to correct the problem
    That's not a crazy idea at all! Marlin now has support for filament detection and if your setup can handle it, it will automatically reload a new spool of filament.

Engineer-in-Training
    Actually that would be pretty easy. Just need to run a microswitch inside of a small tube that is triggered by the filament on top of the extruder assembly, or on top of the machine as a filament guide.

If you wanted to get real fancy you can use a through beam, but why spend the money?

The automatic reloading of filament is something I gotta see though.

Engineer-in-Training TopJimmyCooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ama-fessional Molder View Post

If you wanted to get real fancy you can use a through beam, but why spend the money?
    the filament check thing is easy. I had it figured out with a U shaped opto switch, left over from a pinball machine repair, that would trigger the z endstop. Laziness overcame me though.

My answer to C42's question:
    • retraction for inactive nozzles
    • quick change carriage/mount for extruder/hotend/zprobe combined unit - dovetail or something else that gives repeatability.
    • ability to easily remove the dual hexagon cooling fan shroud for service of hotends

No low hanging fruit there. Still using the c42 double (original) and still liking it. I don't print a lot of 2 filament prints, I mainly use the 2nd as an instant backup or to keep 2 different filaments ready to go. Have to be really careful to clean the unused nozzle so a nib of plastic doesn't pick the early layers of a print off the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
    Hi

Ok, how about a dual extruder setup for the Pegasus 12" with fans on the extruders and dual fans to cool the object? The only real changes from the existing "state of the art" would be the Pegasus mount and getting a fan on the back side of the system.

===

Bob
    I believe the existing extruders will fit the Pegasus. The X axis extrusion spacing is the same, so you would need to print the X axis backing plate and mount the wheels and everything else to that, and you should be in business.

Unless I have misunderstood what you're looking for.

Bringing the fans around the back side is a possibility. I looked at it at one point and didn't think there was enough room to get full X travel on the i3v. Maybe it would work better on the Pegasus.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast