Close

I want to lay this "base" down

I have this stl and it's for a part called "base". The part is now resting on it's edge and I want to lay it down flat to print it. I didn't draw the part and really don't know how to draw/manipulate parts. I was working with free cad. I can open it in freecad but basically I am stuck at that point. Also I can't even figure out how to select the object. I am a total newbie. I guess most helpful would be an easy way to do it and then have someone do it for me and post the new stl??? Thanks, James

I also have a problem of I don't know how to post the file? I do the attatchment thing select the file to upload, and press upload and the little thing spins but the file doesn't show in the list for me to drag it to the attatchment, so I assume I'm doing it wrong?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    you do this in the slicer. Not a cad issue.

What slicer are you using ?

Also all forum uploads and attachments have been disabled.
    Nobody's owned to doing it or said why it was done.

It's a but like the stealth moderators, odd setup - but it's what we're stuck with :-)

I've got slic3r. I guess a good description of what I've got now we'll just pretend it's a rectangular block 2" x 3" and it's an 1/8" thick. as it is now it is on edge so it's 1/8 wide 3" long and stands 2" high. . I want to "lay" that rectangle down so it would be lieing flat 2" x 3" . In slic3r I see I can rotate parts as they lie on the plater in a clockwise or counter clockwise but I want to more like "knock" the shape over. Picture a domino standing upright and then you tip it over and then it's lieing flat. If any of that makes sense. Thanks

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    You can do a lot of operations outside of CAD environment, using mesh editors and slicer software. You can adjust wall thickness for example so you don't have to create hollow objects in CAD. For precise rotations I sometimes measure the angles and then progressively rotate the object until it is flat. If you use Cura as a slicer it has an option 'Lay down flat' which does that entire process automatically with one hit of the button. If the surface is irregular, you can sink it in a few tenths of a millimeter to maximize contact with the build surface.
    If this doesn't help, can you post a picture?

Hi, thanks. I tried posting the picture but curious aardvark posted that uploads and attatchments have been disabled. As for the description just think of a row of dominoes all standing "up" in a line. You knock the first domino over and it inturn knocks over the next in line etc. So just picture one domino standing "up". That is the position my part is in. I want to "knock it down" so it would be laying what I waould call "flat". I will download cura and take a look at it. The slic3r software will not perform the "lay down flat" that you mention. (at least I think it won't???) My surface is flat but there is a post sticking up so to print it I have to have it flat so the post is sticking up in the air. With the part on it's edge the post is sticking out to the side, which makes it not possible to print.

I got them positioned properly now all I have to do is figure out all the settings to make it work with my makerfarm 8" pegasus. Any suggestions how to figure that out?? Thanks