Close

Trying to find a borosilicate bed in 220x220 format

Hey all,

Have an Alunar 3D printer, which is an Anet A8 / Prusa i3 clone with a 220x220mm bed. I'm suspecting that it's warping slowly because in the very center, its super tight vs. at the edges when I calibrate it, causing some prints to "sink" into the bed and the shell fills to be super thin on the bottom.

Curious if anyone knows of a supplier who has one in that size? I can find 200x213 / 200x220 / 200x200 all day, but nothing in 220x220.

Thoughts?

Engineer-in-Training
    Personally I've found that regular glass works fine as long as you put Kapton or PET film on the printing surface, I've done hundreds of prints on 2mm glass cut to size at a nearby frame shop without any damage to the glass.

Follow RP Iron Man On Twitter Add RP Iron Man on Facebook Add RP Iron Man on Google+ Add RP Iron Man on Thingiverse
    If you do plan to use regular glass, keep in mind that it is much more sensitive to temperature fluctuations. I have had issues with glass plates breaking since my custom bed heats up super fast! Now I only use 4mm borosilicate glass.

As long as you heat and cool the bed slowly you should be fine.

Student
    Why dont you just get yourself a sheet of 300mm x 300mm x3mm borosilicate glass, and then buy a glass cutter and cut of the 80mm each side to fit?

Glass cutting is super easy, just get a very straight edge (preferably a square) and then gently run the glass cutter over the glass 5-10 passes, this scores the glass nicely. Then all you need to do it lift the glass no more than 1/2" up with the large straight edge beneath the score now, and gently push "evenly" down on the 'cut-off' side and it will cleanly snap off.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jlhR2 View Post
    Why dont you just get yourself a sheet of 300mm x 300mm x3mm borosilicate glass, and then buy a glass cutter and cut of the 80mm each side to fit?

Glass cutting is super easy, just get a very straight edge (preferably a square) and then gently run the glass cutter over the glass 5-10 passes, this scores the glass nicely. Then all you need to do it lift the glass no more than 1/2" up with the large straight edge beneath the score now, and gently push "evenly" down on the 'cut-off' side and it will cleanly snap off.
    It's a good idea to round off the edges and corners, normally do so by hand using a small carburundum disc (the kind used in hobby grinders).