Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    nope - use the right material and the lifespan will be easily as good as injection moulded :-)
    Given the way you can use very thin layers to form an actual flexible matrix that resists tearing in all directions, I suspect you could probably improve on injection moulded hinges.

There are some seriously amazing materials out there in 3d printer land.

Like I said, get your printer, try some of the more exotic filaments and then come back to me.

3d printed stuff can be way better than you seem to think it is :-)

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    3d printed stuff can be way better than you seem to think it is :-)
    People see the world through the filter of their own experience.

Can't wait till he gets his printer :-)
    That first lightbulb moment is brilliant.

Engineer-in-Training
    You keep saying "use the right material".

That doesn't work if the material you need is not conducive to a living hinge. We use 3d printed prototypes in my industry often. There's one sitting on my desk right now. Of course this one is just a large handle though.

If I need something that very specifically does NOT flex under load, then printing a living hinge with it would not work very well, would it?

Nylon is a great example of this, yet we can mold nylon living hinges without significant issue.

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    In my experience, workable living hinges can be made through FFF/FDM 3D printing. However, they will not nearly be half as strong and durable as IM'ed hinges due to the filament structure, material and heterogeneities. The best idea to me seems to use a dual extruder and print the hinge in a flexible material, with an uneven number of layers - 3 or higher - the outer layers being aligned with the bending direction.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    nope - use the right material and the lifespan will be easily as good as injection moulded :-)
    Sorry CA but I'm with AFM on this. A living hinge requires specific conditions that can only be achieved when specific melt and flow criteria are being met. 3D printing cannot do this. You might get several flexions off a printed item but not the ridiculously high number as you would off an injection moulded item. 3D printed living hinges are for functional testing only.

I guess I'm just going to have to prove this :-)
    And I presume you're totally disallowing flexible filaments ?

Given that polyflex will print stiff parts as well as totally flexible parts and is damn near indestructible. Printed some 0.4mm sheet a while back - could not tear it.
    That's proved the point right there.

But there are other materials that will also do the job.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 07-07-2016 at 05:26 AM.

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    I have made some living hinges with Biome3D filament which is more flexible, and they work fine for hundreds of bends.
    So not the amount you get with injection molding, but still nice enough to be useful for many things and if it breaks you simply reprint it. It opens up a lot of possibilities.
    The standard swatches I print to show my clients the range of filaments I offer all include a living hinge. Flexible materials are best for this, woodfill is worst..

I am very interested to see the polyflex hinge.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123