Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by rforeman View Post
    I use Aqua Net extra super hold hair spray. I spray in on to a paper towel or a lent free cloth and wipe it on the glass.
    I use the same, only I just take the glass out and spray it directly on the glass.

hairspray holds really well while the plate is still hot (I once pulled out chunks of glass trying to forcefully remove a part before it had cooled).

Once cool the part comes off easily, often removing itself.

As I am looking to order some glass build plates, I had a few questions:

• Do you guys think that a 1/8" borosilicate glass will be thick enough?
    • What do you use to block the Z sensor?
    • Do you have to re-level every time you remove the glass from the .5mm thermal padding and install another?

Thanks!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    as long as your total bed thickness is less than about 9mm - you don't need to do anything to the z-sensor. The adjustment springs and screws easily cover that thickness of plate.

Basically you have to add something really thick to actually need any kind of z-axist sensor adjustment.

My current bed consists of the heatbed, original 3mm aluminium plate, some double sided carpet tape, an extra (flat) 3mm aluminium plate with 1mm of printbite stuck on top of that.
    Probably about 8mm in total.
    I have no problem adjusting for bed calibration and I did recently print a viking axe head that was approx 1mm short of the printers stated maximum z height.

So, no you don't need a z-axis adjuster, and most likely, neither do most of the people who have fitted them :-)

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by AmbientG View Post
    As I am looking to order some glass build plates, I had a few questions:

• Do you guys think that a 1/8" borosilicate glass will be thick enough?
    it should be fine as long as you use thermal pads instead of binder clips--clipping it down may cause thin glass to bend a little.
    • What do you use to block the Z sensor?
    Add a shim the thickness of your glass under the z sensor, lots of these can be downloaded from thingiverse or you could just improvise something.
    • Do you have to re-level every time you remove the glass from the .5mm thermal padding and install another?
    I don't, but I have noticed that the orientation I install the glass in matters--presumably this means my glass isn't even thickness.
    Thanks!
    See answers in red

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12