Close

Identifying abs and pla

how can I tell if something I printed 6 months ago was printed in abs or pla?
    I'm thinking it's going to be destructive, like wipe some acetone on a spot and if it dissolves it's abs.
    If it doesn't it's pla. (?)
    is there a better way?

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Yep, put a little acetone on the bottom.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    even better - if it's dull and lifeless looking and a little rough to the touch: it's abs.

If it's smooth and shiny and hard, it's probably pla.

Senior Engineer
    A scanning electron microscope could do it I think.

lately I've been getting some pretty smooth and glossy prints using abs. Some pretty wicked curls too on the longer prints too. I think I'm extruding too hot. And my bed won't go over 90c. Some of my abs and pla spools are the same color so I just wanted to know if there was a tried and true method already, other than an electron microscope.
    looks like acetone will be my test.
    thanks everyone.

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by sdtag View Post
    lately I've been getting some pretty smooth and glossy prints using abs. Some pretty wicked curls too on the longer prints too. I think I'm extruding too hot. And my bed won't go over 90c. Some of my abs and pla spools are the same color so I just wanted to know if there was a tried and true method already, other than an electron microscope.
    looks like acetone will be my test.
    thanks everyone.
    Damn, I was just hoping you would have one I could use.

Staff Engineer
    You could do a hot needle test. Put a red-hot needle to an inconspicuous part of the print. Smell the smoke. Compare the smell to known samples of both materials; the difference should be pretty obvious.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    bear in mind that acetone will - apparently - soften pla.

Your best bet is to get a marker pen and stick an A or a P - on the bottom of your prints when you've done them.

Or do what I did and just not use abs :-)

I have been using abs mostly and living with the curls. Now I am getting back into PLA again. And yes, it definitely is glossier than ABS.
    And I really really like how PLA doesn't curl. But I get strings.
    I am at 215C at the nozzle and 60C on the bed.
    I am printing at .25 layer height at a speed of 24. I am retracting to 8 mm. It was originally set to 6.
    Why am I getting strings? Is the nozzle still too hot? I guess I need to do some testing before I make anything else.
    You guys who love PLA, (ca) what are your temperatures, distances, and speeds? I know it's a little different for different machines and filaments, but give me a starting point please.
    tia

Engineer-in-Training
    A rough finish on ABS is due to excessive moisture content. Properly dried, extruded ABS cools to a nice glossy finish just like PLA should. The different is that PLA isn't nearly as affected by water.