Close

Cool 3d scanning people , dyi or do it other way

I want to do a diy scanner to scan multiple people at once, can I have ex. A dslr with a glidecam? How long would it take for each scan? I don't want it long as it would bore people.

Also I could have people with white points on their bodies and then just get the position of those points and replace it with other models, that would be faster right?

what do I need? Any tutorial out there?

Staff Engineer
    There are programs which can combine multiple 2D photos to produce 3D models. But you'd need to take lots of photos from various angles, with consistent lighting and no distracting backgrounds. This could well get boring for the models; it's certainly not going to be a fast process with a single camera. Trying to use this technique to capture multiple people at the same time would be more difficult, and a lot slower.

I suppose you could record the positions of people with markers on them and replace them with posable models, if that was sufficient for your purpose; it would be faster. Why are you interested in recording postures anyway?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    could be a novelty approach to wedding photos :-)

The short answer is that without the professional scanning booths. Scanning full size people in 3d, is extremely difficult and complicated.

The simplest way is to buy 'cheap' (it's all relative) commercial grade handheld scanner and use that. They probably start at around the $10,000 mark.

You can get digital cameras with dual lenses that take stereoscopic images. Were you to find some software that converted a stereoscopic image to an stl file, then you might be in with a chance.

The problem is that while the current technology is up to it - it's still only industrial scanners at industrial prices.

Staff Engineer
    It depends on how much resolution you need. If facial wrinkles and moles are important to capture, then the aardvark is correct; you'll need a pro system at a pro price. But if a general impression of a person's face and body is sufficient, then the consumer-grade scanners will work, and the price is much lower. The Sense scanner, for instance, which lists for $399, does a pretty good job with objects the size of a human. It has some limitations in common with all the other scanners based on the Primesense sensor - it won't work in full sunlight, it's easy to lose tracking, and the resolution is limited to about 1mm granularity, but it captures color as well as form, the software for processing the scans is pretty good, and you can generate printable models with it. Here's a Tom's Guide review: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/sense-3d...view-1978.html

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com