Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Engineer-in-Training

Best 3D printer for schools?

I have PowerSpec Ultra 3D printer at home. Two teachers want to buy a good 3D printer for schools. I think that the 3D printer for schools should be enclosed. One teacher has woodworking shop in the basement at the program for mentally handicapped people. Any suggestions for best 3D printer for schools? I think they want to spend $2,500.00 or less on the printer and supplies.

Student
    Yes! FDM printers need to be enclosed !!
    Research is showing that as the plastic comes out of the extruder, there is a fine mist of plastic particles expelled into the air. An enclosure will contain this. I would also FILTER the air in the enclosure of the printer too once printing is done.

Also, an enclosure will keep the air hot around the print job substantially reducing the likelihood of the print disconnecting from the base plate. This will increase the success rate of your print jobs.

Engineer-in-Training
    Even if the 3D printer is enclosed, I'm worried about woodworking dust going into any openings in the enclosure like the "T" shaped opening for filament tubes and wires in the top cover of my printer. Also, spools of filaments are usually exposed.

Engineer-in-Training
    I'd suggest a Printrbot Play. It's inexpensive so you can buy a few of them, and students don't really need a large build area since they'll want their prints to not take too long.

https://printrbot.com/shop/assembled-printrbot-play/

PLA is non toxic so don't worry about enclosing it. The power tools in the wood working shop are a hell of a lot more dangerous than getting burnt on a hot end.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Nobody knows if 3d printed pla is non-toxic or not.

It's all down to long term exposure and currently there are no figures.
    So far all the published studies have come down as ALL 3d printed materials not being entirely safe on a long term basis.
    That said - for any length print most people aren't near the machines all the time.
    But you can't categorically say they are 100% safe.

Printer wise, if you've got that kind of money the I'd go for something larger and better than a small printrbot.
    And i certainly would not keep it in an active wood shop.
    Bad enough seeing what happens to computers in such places, I'd hate to see the kind of crap that would build up on the motors, pulleys and screws somewhere like that.
    But should be easy to build a perspex cage to keep them in and keep the dust out.

I agree that it's always better to have 2 or more. If going for a printrbot - and there's no reason why not, then go for the top of the range plus.

Build volume is fairly important and any large prints can be run over night.
    That would leave you enough for a couple of wanhao duplicator 2.1 i3's as well and enough money to stock up on filament.
    Or get a replicator clone for any dual prints. You could afford a creator pro and the printrbot plus.

I certainly wouldn't worry about enclosures, but then you might have to if it's a school, all those daft H&S regulations. One worth looking at is the cel robox. It's fully enclosed, has some very cool features and is fully certified for use in schools.
    http://www.cel-robox.com/

And I think they're bringing out extra tool heads in the near futire as well. So has potential to be used as a laser engraver and maybe some small cnc stuff.

PLA is made from vegetable sugars is it not. Probably as toxic as breathing in wood dust. Polycarbonate I hear is quite toxic though, among other kinds of filament

Student
    Follow seregon3d On Twitter Add seregon3d on Thingiverse

I have the davinci 1.0

take a look at the davinci 1.0 or any davinci models. its cheap and enclosed:

http://www.amazon.com/XYZprinting-Vi...SIN=B00SO6O6TI

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmorris View Post
    I have PowerSpec Ultra 3D printer at home. Two teachers want to buy a good 3D printer for schools. I think that the 3D printer for schools should be enclosed. One teacher has woodworking shop in the basement at the program for mentally handicapped people. Any suggestions for best 3D printer for schools? I think they want to spend $2,500.00 or less on the printer and supplies.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KallenX View Post
    PLA is made from vegetable sugars is it not. Probably as toxic as breathing in wood dust. Polycarbonate I hear is quite toxic though, among other kinds of filament
    It's the undisclosed additives to improve printing performance that are the issue.
    And some wood dust is extremely toxic. Something you learn when you do wood turning.

Engineer-in-Training iDig3Dprinting's Avatar
    Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    The Up Box has is enclosed and has a built in air filter specifically to reduce air pollution.

Hi guy, You can see Cubicon printer, This is 3D Desktop Printer to suit with school/ office/ small workshop.
    First in Korea to Mount Clean Filters : your Health is Also in Our Interest.
    HEPA Filter : H13 HEPA class, removes at least 99.97% of airborne
    particles 0.3 μm in diameter
    Deodorizing filter : filters harmful gases
    Purafil catalyst : filters organic compounds generated from copy printers

http://3d-smartsolutions.com/san-pham/may-in-3d/

Cubicon is the best 3D printer for schools. No tonxic
    Last edited by canho79; 06-29-2016 at 12:29 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast