Close

Student

Post RADDS Info Thread

I'm anticipating problems with the new RADDS board I got to replace my fried RAMPS board, so I've created this thread so that people can ask and answer questions about the board. A list of helpful web pages is below, I'll update them occasionally. Documentation on this board is limited to a description of its features so this might be the only place to get help.

Makerfarm RADDS Page
    Official RADDS Page
    Repetier Firmware

A few snags I hit:
    • The RADDS board does not come with the required Arduino Due. Get one!
    • Marlin firmware does not work with the RADDS. You must download Repetier firmware from the link above.
    • Configuration is similar to Marlin but not the same. Use your stock Marlin configuration to guide you.
    • You may have to download IDE profiles for the Due before you can upload firmware. Go to Tools > Boards > Manage Boards and install the SAM board profile. Restart the IDE, and you should now be able to select the Due as your board.

This post will be edited occasionally to include new info I find.

Student
    The first problem I hit is related to z homing. The X and Y axes home fine, but when I press the "Home Z" button in Cura, the Z motors only make a high-pitched squealing sound. I think this problem is firmware-related so I will look around in the Repetier firmware for a little longer.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceorange12 View Post
    ... when I press the "Home Z" button in Cura, the Z motors only make a high-pitched squealing sound. I think this problem is firmware-related so I will look around in the Repetier firmware for a little longer.
    Look for a setting related to the Z feedrate used during homing. You're likely trying to drive the motors too fast.

EDIT: I'm assuming other Z axis moves commanded from Cura work OK. If not, then other things like the steps per mm could be set wrong.
    Last edited by printbus; 12-27-2015 at 10:40 AM.

Student
    Z homing feedrate is actually lower than my Marlin setting, I don't think that's the problem. However, the Z axis does move normally when not homing so perhaps another homing related setting is off?

A few snags I hit:

• The RADDS board does not come with the required Arduino Due. Get one!
    • Marlin firmware does not work with the RADDS. You must download Repetier firmware from the link above.
    So port the Marlin code to the new board...

I promise you won't have any problem getting the changes merged into the code base if you get them working!!!

Student
    So port the Marlin code to the new board...
    When it comes to programming, I'm as confused as a cow on astroturf.
    By "port" do you mean modifying Marlin to work with the Due/RADDS?

Quote Originally Posted by spaceorange12 View Post
    When it comes to programming, I'm as confused as a cow on astroturf.
    By "port" do you mean modifying Marlin to work with the Due/RADDS?
    Yes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porting

Ultimately... It is almost a given that Marlin is going to run on the Due micro-processor. But we have some clean up work to do first.

Student
    OK. Not sure what "clean up work" entails, but if it's successful please let me know!

I agree to the problems - I replaced my RAMPS board with an Arduino Due RADDS combo. steps so far
    Loaded driver for board shows on com 6.
    Added Due board to Arduino
    Ran Repetier online config tool and uploaded to board with Arduino (ran as administrator) per instructions - had to do this several times and changed EEPROM from 1 to 2 etc each time.
    Had uploads show as completed and LCD lit up but did not show any message.
    After several tries was able to get the printer name etc on LCD and can switch thru menu but nothing will run from LCD. Repetier Host says its connected to printer on com6 but does not report any information and does not communicate with printer G Codes or otherwise.

I am just learning so I would guess i missed something but not sure what... Help greatly appreciated.

So more thinking about 32-Bit boards. RADDS is one of the platforms detailed in the discussion:

https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/MarlinDev/issues/398