Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

End stops won't stop motors from stopping when homing.

I am kind of new to marlin and 3d printing. I have been tinkering here and there with it but I cannot figure out what is wrong. I have a mini kossel 3d printer. I have endstops on the top of the x, y, and z axis to make homing easier at the top. The problem I am having is when i press home, it moves up but once it reaches the endstops, the lights trigger but they fail to stop all 3 motors from spinning making a horrible noise and i am always forced to unplug from the power source. I have included a snapshot of the part of firmware i think is relevant and a picture of my 3d printer set up. Please help! Also, when i send the m119 command it says,
    SENDING:M119
    Reporting endstop status
    x_max: open
    y_max: open
    z_min: TRIGGERED
    z_max: open

Firmware....
    // coarse Endstop Settings
    #define ENDSTOPPULLUPS // Comment this out (using // at the start of the line) to disable the endstop pullup resistors

#ifndef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
    // fine endstop settings: Individual pullups. will be ignored if ENDSTOPPULLUPS is defined
    // #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMAX
    // #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMAX
    // #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMAX
    // #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMIN
    // #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMIN
    // #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN
    #endif

#ifdef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
    #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMAX
    #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMAX
    #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMAX
    #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMIN
    #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMIN
    #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN
    #endif

// The pullups are needed if you directly connect a mechanical endswitch between the signal and ground pins.
    const bool X_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
    const bool Y_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
    const bool Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
    const bool X_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
    const bool Y_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
    const bool Z_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
    //#define DISABLE_MAX_ENDSTOPS
    //#define DISABLE_MIN_ENDSTOPS

// Disable max endstops for compatibility with endstop checking routine
    #if defined(COREXY) && !defined(DISABLE_MAX_ENDSTOPS)
    #define DISABLE_MAX_ENDSTOPS
    #endif

// For Inverting Stepper Enable Pins (Active Low) use 0, Non Inverting (Active High) use 1
    #define X_ENABLE_ON 0
    #define Y_ENABLE_ON 0
    #define Z_ENABLE_ON 0
    #define E_ENABLE_ON 0 // For all extruders

// Disables axis when it's not being used.
    #define DISABLE_X false
    #define DISABLE_Y false
    #define DISABLE_Z false
    #define DISABLE_E false // For all extruders

#define INVERT_X_DIR false // for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true
    #define INVERT_Y_DIR false // for Mendel set to true, for Orca set to false
    #define INVERT_Z_DIR false // for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true
    #define INVERT_E0_DIR false // for direct drive extruder v9 set to true, for geared extruder set to false
    #define INVERT_E1_DIR false // for direct drive extruder v9 set to true, for geared extruder set to false
    #define INVERT_E2_DIR false // for direct drive extruder v9 set to true, for geared extruder set to false

// ENDSTOP SETTINGS:
    // Sets direction of endstops when homing; 1=MAX, -1=MIN
    #define X_HOME_DIR 1
    #define Y_HOME_DIR 1
    #define Z_HOME_DIR 1

#define min_software_endstops true // If true, axis won't move to coordinates less than HOME_POS.
    #define max_software_endstops true // If true, axis won't move to coordinates greater than the defined lengths below.

// Travel limits after homing
    #define X_MAX_POS DELTA_PRINTABLE_RADIUS
    #define X_MIN_POS -DELTA_PRINTABLE_RADIUS
    #define Y_MAX_POS DELTA_PRINTABLE_RADIUS
    #define Y_MIN_POS -DELTA_PRINTABLE_RADIUS
    #define Z_MAX_POS MANUAL_Z_HOME_POS
    #define Z_MIN_POS 0

#define X_MAX_LENGTH (X_MAX_POS - X_MIN_POS)
    #define Y_MAX_LENGTH (Y_MAX_POS - Y_MIN_POS)
    #define Z_MAX_LENGTH (Z_MAX_POS - Z_MIN_POS)

Please help.

You should start with the effector in the middle of the bed and half way up the towers. Give it a M119. You should see nothing triggered. You should be able to manually press a tower's switch and give it a M119. You should see that tower say triggered. Until you can get that to happen, don't tell it to home.

You likely need to change the switch settings to make that happen.

Thank you for responding! Which part of the firmware would I change in regard to the switch settings?

It will be these settings in Configuration.h :

Code:
    // coarse Endstop Settings
    #define ENDSTOPPULLUPS // Comment this out (using // at the start of the line) to disable the endstop pullup resistors

#if DISABLED(ENDSTOPPULLUPS)
      // fine endstop settings: Individual pullups. will be ignored if ENDSTOPPULLUPS is defined
      //#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMAX
      //#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMAX
      //#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMAX
      //#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMIN
      //#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMIN
      //#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN
      //#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN_PROBE
    #endif

// Mechanical endstop with COM to ground and NC to Signal uses "false" here (most common setup).
    const bool X_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
    const bool Y_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
    const bool Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
    const bool X_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
    const bool Y_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
    const bool Z_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
    const bool Z_MIN_PROBE_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.

// If you want to enable the Z probe pin, but disable its use, uncomment the line below.
    // This only affects a Z probe endstop if you have separate Z min endstop as well and have
    // activated Z_MIN_PROBE_ENDSTOP below. If you are using the Z Min endstop on your Z probe,
    // this has no effect.
    //#define DISABLE_Z_MIN_PROBE_ENDSTOP

// For Inverting Stepper Enable Pins (Active Low) use 0, Non Inverting (Active High) use 1
    // :{0:'Low',1:'High'}
    #define X_ENABLE_ON 0
    #define Y_ENABLE_ON 0
    #define Z_ENABLE_ON 0
    #define E_ENABLE_ON 0 // For all extruders

// Disables axis when it's not being used.
    // WARNING: When motors turn off there is a chance of losing position accuracy!
    #define DISABLE_X false
    #define DISABLE_Y false
    #define DISABLE_Z false

// @section extruder

#define DISABLE_E false // For all extruders
    #define DISABLE_INACTIVE_EXTRUDER true //disable only inactive extruders and keep active extruder enabled

// @section machine

// Invert the stepper direction. Change (or reverse the motor connector) if an axis goes the wrong way.
    #define INVERT_X_DIR false
    #define INVERT_Y_DIR true
    #define INVERT_Z_DIR false

// @section extruder

// For direct drive extruder v9 set to true, for geared extruder set to false.
    #define INVERT_E0_DIR false
    #define INVERT_E1_DIR false
    #define INVERT_E2_DIR false
    #define INVERT_E3_DIR false

// @section homing

// ENDSTOP SETTINGS:
    // Sets direction of endstops when homing; 1=MAX, -1=MIN
    // :[-1,1]
    #define X_HOME_DIR -1
    #define Y_HOME_DIR -1
    #define Z_HOME_DIR -1

#define min_software_endstops true // If true, axis won't move to coordinates less than HOME_POS.
    #define max_software_endstops true  // If true, axis won't move to coordinates greater than the defined lengths below.

// @section machine

// Travel limits after homing (units are in mm)
    #define X_MIN_POS 0
    #define Y_MIN_POS 0
    #define Z_MIN_POS 0
    #define X_MAX_POS 200
    #define Y_MAX_POS 200
    #define Z_MAX_POS 20

This is what i got when my effector half way down. Keep in mind i have a mini kossel.
    x_max: TRIGGERED
    y_max: TRIGGERED
    z_min: open
    z_max: TRIGGERED
    >>> m119

I do not know what to change or edit to my firmware..??

For starters, Assuming you are not pressing any of the switches with your fingers... You need to change:

Code:
    const bool X_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
    const bool Y_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
    const bool Z_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
    Did you check that you can invert the declared state my pressing and holding a switch during the M119 ?

Here is my new code updated.

// The pullups are needed if you directly connect a mechanical endswitch between the signal and ground pins.
    const bool X_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
    const bool Y_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
    const bool Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
    const bool X_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
    const bool Y_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
    const bool Z_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.

When I press home, each tower moves up like eaxctly one unit. So the good thing at this point is that is isnt going all the way up and crashing and it is going in the right direction. The bad thing still is that when i do get to the top, the endstops light comes on but does not make the motor stop. The motor acts like its not there.

Here is the m119 when it is open.
    Reporting endstop status

Here is the m119 for the x end stop pushed.
    Reporting endstop status

here is the m119 for the y end stop pushed
    z_min: TRIGGERED

here is the m119 for the z end stop pushed.

Side note. A few weeks back, i accidently blew the voltage regulator and bought a whole new arduino and ramps1.4. However, I am still using the same endstops because I felt like they wouldn't be damaged by it.

Quote Originally Posted by rcrocket1 View Post
    Here is my new code updated.
    That is not what I suggested up above.

Whoops. I confused what you had said. I will fix it and post how it goes. Thank you.

It is very possible that the end stops got fried. Even if the configuration is wrong with regards to whether or not the end stop is inverted, it should still toggle when you press the switch and do a M119. And why does the Z-Min toggle when you press the Y end stop? That suggests you have the wrong board configured or something plugged in the wrong place. That is worth checking out because that is doesn't seem right and resolving that may fix the other end stops.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast